News:

C5alive meets Chris Barrie
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=417.0

Author Topic: C5 24 volt gearbox damaged  (Read 3809 times)

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
C5 24 volt gearbox damaged
« on: 14, July, 2010 - 20:29:22 »
Hi all just had an email from someone asking about some motors .So I passed on my phone number to him and he arraigned to meet me .
He bought a C5 some while ago and had it converted to run on 12 and 24 volts by a switch .
He explained it worked for quiet a while until he heard a grinding noise from the gearbox .
Anyway he brought the gearbox down for me to see it ...
and as you will see it is damaged and unusable .
Also you can see it has  metal cogs and the gearbox has been filled in with epoxy resin to give it extra strength and then a metal band fitted around it ,but as you`l see the pillars are lose in the holes and the small gearbox bearings have broken of the motor shaft
It looks like the bearings snapped off allowing the motor to drop putting strain on the shaft ..
At this point He shoed me some photo`s of the motor on the C5 and it looks like the motor had dropped of even with a ty wrap in place ..
I know that the c5 was not designed to run on 24 volts but it can as long as it`s not abused ..
He has now made himself a member of the site ..

Take a look at the photo`s

« Last Edit: 14, July, 2010 - 20:40:07 by C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER »

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
Re: C5 24 volt gearbox damaged
« Reply #1 on: 15, July, 2010 - 07:36:00 »
Ouch - that's some serious damage - just goes to show that Karl and Dave have gone down the right road with complete redesign rather than mods to the original gearbox.

Karl

« Reply #2 on: 15, July, 2010 - 09:30:30 »
Similar to this ;
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=181.0

We also destroyed one of those reinforced gearboxes - they are from an Adam Harper conversion. I suspect they are strong enough for his 24v c5's but not for the maxxed out versions we were playing with.

• Millennium Member
« Reply #3 on: 15, July, 2010 - 11:07:58 »
You are right Karl it was a Adam Harper conversion but as I`v said it looks like the motor dropped of it`s mount and caused the problem but not sure ..

chrisbaildon

« Reply #4 on: 19, July, 2010 - 20:48:40 »
Well that was my gearbox which came to a sad end after about 3 or 4 years worth of usage (not a heavy C5 user - in for more ways than one  ;D ).

Thanks for all your friendly advise Chas when we met, you are a true gent. The new motor & gearbox was fitted this evening (hopefully successfully, but the heavens then opened, so hopefully test run to take place tomorrow evening - weather permitting)..

• Millennium Member
« Reply #5 on: 20, July, 2010 - 08:31:25 »
Hi there Chris all the best take it easy on the first run and try and get as much speed you can before engaging the motor ....bye Chas