News:

Welcome to C5alive, the best place for help & advice on how to get the most from your iconic Sinclair C5. Check the meetings section today for events near you.
C5alive.co.uk  - Keeping the C5 Alive !!

Author Topic: Best way to transport a C5 in a car  (Read 7849 times)

Offline peckishere

• Battery level: 3
    • peckishere's Twitter
Re: Best way to transport a C5 in a car
« Reply #15 on: 01, February, 2011 - 17:24:48 »
Looks a decent enough buy :) I wondered if it had been painted because in some photos the finish looks glossy?  ???

I think its just a bit grubby, i think the glossy look is due to it being a misty / damp day when the photo was taken. I'm sure after I get it home and cleaned up it should look ok

Offline peckishere

• peckishere's Twitter
« Reply #16 on: 01, February, 2011 - 17:37:29 »
I hate to sound any alarm bells , but the "offside" rear wheel (brake side) seems out of alignment. This could indicate a bent chassis leg, check the buyers guide for piccies of what I mean and compare to the photo in the listing.

It might be nothing and just the angle of the photo but I'd take a closer look. If it's been a rental then it may have been abused, that's why we don't loan them out anymore.

After inspection of the photos, it looks like it may be due to the angling of the photography. the 'motor side' wheel looks ok in the initial photo but when you select another photo to view of the 'motor side' it looks different somehow.... i hope  :-\

if it does turn out to be a bent chassis leg, is there anything that can be done to bring it back into alignment?

Karl

« Reply #17 on: 01, February, 2011 - 21:04:48 »
The metal is soft enough that you can straighten it out by hand using a pair of mole grips, but the trick is to keep the "box section" intact. If the chassis is bent and beyond repair its not the end of the world, just look for a replacement chassis - they do crop up every now and then. 

Offline Pyrasanth

• Battery level: 0
« Reply #18 on: 02, February, 2011 - 18:09:41 »
That's the trouble with ebay and purchasing items, until you get to see the C5 you can not gauge everything from the photos yet Karl's keen eye for detail and owning a few he has noticed a protential problem. Go and pick it up and if the frames bent knock him down and explain why you have done so this also depends on how much you have offered to pay as take it you have not already paid the guy until collection. Anyway hope all works out well

Gary

Offline peckishere

• peckishere's Twitter
« Reply #19 on: 02, February, 2011 - 19:57:28 »
That's the trouble with ebay and purchasing items, until you get to see the C5 you can not gauge everything from the photos yet Karl's keen eye for detail and owning a few he has noticed a protential problem. Go and pick it up and if the frames bent knock him down and explain why you have done so this also depends on how much you have offered to pay as take it you have not already paid the guy until collection. Anyway hope all works out well

Gary

I'm gonna go for it anyway, as BooBoo says if it is a bent chassis it can be bent back into position using a mole grip (I don't think its likely that it is bent, I think its more to do with the angling of the photography)

Offline peckishere

• peckishere's Twitter
« Reply #20 on: 02, February, 2011 - 20:39:13 »
I have one front wheel cover left  for sale if your interested £45 posted 07931273632.

I am interested in the front wheel cover, however I will not be able to purchase it until the 25th of this month as I am now strapped for cash after buying the c5 and a few items from the c5 alive shop to get it mostly functioning and to get it looking nice and not so grubby.

Offline peckishere

• peckishere's Twitter
« Reply #21 on: 02, February, 2011 - 20:40:59 »
Now I have managed to book my employer's van for the weekend, what does everyone think is the best way of securing it down so it doesn't move around inside the van?  ???

Offline coverman

• Battery level: 4
« Reply #22 on: 03, February, 2011 - 08:55:55 »
remove hubcaps, strap spokes on all 3 wheel to tie downs on van floor

Offline frankev

• Battery level: 0
  • One Sinclair on the road, doesn't mean it's summer
    • Sinclair meeting in Holland in july 2011
« Reply #23 on: 03, February, 2011 - 23:27:17 »
Ducktape? ;D

Frank

Offline Lancealot

• Battery level: 5
  • Owning C5s are a pleasure and hassle..............
« Reply #24 on: 04, February, 2011 - 18:55:21 »
This is how I got my C5 home when I just bought it. Have to travel from South Nottingham to Manchester (M1 & M62).

No Laughing now  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

thanks

Lance

Offline peckishere

• peckishere's Twitter
« Reply #25 on: 04, February, 2011 - 19:05:03 »
Ok Lancealot you said no laughing, all I can say is it kinda reminds me of ..........

http://pixti.me/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/indian-commuter-train.jpg

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #26 on: 04, February, 2011 - 19:33:13 »
Fantastic stuff, where there's a will there's a way !  :D

Retro Andy
« Last Edit: 05, February, 2011 - 05:49:38 by Retro Andy »

Karl

« Reply #27 on: 04, February, 2011 - 20:06:09 »
oooh , you were lucky the boot never fell off - ask Ray how the poor "ubmobile" suffered.

Nonetheless, a superb example of improvise,adapt and overcome  - top effort  ;D 

Offline peckishere

• peckishere's Twitter
« Reply #28 on: 05, February, 2011 - 19:57:01 »
Hey everyone,

I managed to get my C5 home safely and i've started a new thread showing pictures of the c5 under restoration and repair

http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1671.0

Jonny

« Reply #29 on: 05, February, 2011 - 20:05:59 »
how did you manage to get it back in the end?