News:

Welcome to C5alive, the best place for help & advice on how to get the most from your iconic Sinclair C5. Check the meetings section today for events near you.
C5alive.co.uk  - Keeping the C5 Alive !!

Author Topic: Micro Men !!! :D  (Read 9086 times)

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 1
Re: Micro Men !!! :D
« Reply #30 on: 13, October, 2009 - 20:32:22 »
I must confess to have watched it twice. I love iplayer !!
But I have also watched electric dreams more than once too. In fact they are the reason I am late with the videos, well that and having run out of homebrew lol.

Offline alan1310

• Battery level: 5
  • i wish i was that man
« Reply #31 on: 20, October, 2009 - 11:41:48 »
well i enjoyed it but not so much for the storey line but for the sights around cambridge and the house they used for sir Clive was actually his house and the baron of beef is still open and i drink in their alot and never realised until i saw the program that he did indeed drink in the baron of beef so next cambridge run we have lots of new places to go i Evan know were the green covered bridge is lol how sad

Offline PLOD11

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 11
  • Trust No one !
« Reply #32 on: 20, October, 2009 - 16:10:40 »
Where abouts is that  strange looking glass building, its sort of dome shape and looks like its down the side of an alley ?

I remember seeing it once when i was in Cambridge years ago, have not managed to find it since, is it still there ??

John

PLOD11

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #33 on: 21, October, 2009 - 07:09:37 »
well i enjoyed it but not so much for the storey line but for the sights around cambridge and the house they used for sir Clive was actually his house and the baron of beef is still open and i drink in their alot and never realised until i saw the program that he did indeed drink in the baron of beef so next cambridge run we have lots of new places to go i Evan know were the green covered bridge is lol how sad

A Cambridge run next year maybe Alan ?

Retro Andy.

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #34 on: 21, October, 2009 - 07:20:53 »
Great idea - a kind of Micro Men tour !!!!

Offline alan1310

• Battery level: 5
  • i wish i was that man
« Reply #35 on: 21, October, 2009 - 10:17:29 »
yeah no probs the building is still thier if you look at the pics from the last cambridge run you will see us down a alley with sinclair writen on the wall that is the building but its all been buit up around it and is now owned by anglia ruskin university they let us go down the side but not in but i am sure with enough notice(blagging) we can get in next time

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #36 on: 22, October, 2009 - 05:50:56 »
I'll look forward to it, keep us posted mate.

Retro Andy

Offline techytype

• Battery level: 0
« Reply #37 on: 28, October, 2009 - 21:34:01 »
have to say i really enjoyed the program, i had not realised Acorn was a fracture of Sinclairs organisation, and the line "had you not insisted on that dam electric car (which finally caused the split) we could have been the British equivalent to IBM' was a brilliant observation and imo very likely true.

i did not feel it showed Sir Clive in to a bad light, the shouting and phone throwing tantrums perhps were not so violent as portrayed, he was/is a very driven man but thats show business.

they twice run with the theme he held no grudges, after a typical heated argument he would then buy drinks to make amends, so the guy had good humility qualities as well as his sheer genius.

i'm 60 now, my first computer was a ZX81 i bought when i was mid 20's, i learn't an awful lot from it using 'sinclair basic' programming, it meant i did not need to learn mind torturing machine code.

frm the program i took it that Sir Clives basic drive was to make technology cheaper, Alan Sugars drive was exactly the same with HiFi but he was better at negotiating with makers which resuted in some quality issues in both companies in order to cut costs.

had they combined at an earlier time before the split taht started Acorn, i wonder if we would now be riding the C500 2 wheel turbo?

regs
alan