News:

C5alive - The Premier Sinclair C5 website
https://www.c5alive.co.uk

Author Topic: Hi all!  (Read 2665 times)

Derk

Hi all!
« on: 27, March, 2011 - 20:02:09 »
Hi everyone

I've been lurking for a while and doing a bit of research into C5s, and now I'm just about at the point of buying my first one. Going by some of the comments below and in the tech threads, I'm glad I found this forum before my C5! This seems like a really friendly and active community and I hope I can add something as my experience of C5s grows.

So, as I said, I'm looking for my first C5, and I really get the feeling that it would be better to buy from an enthusiast rather than go for a box of bits on ebay - although I've noticed some nice examples being sold on there by forum members. Anyway, I'm in no hurry.

Apart from the fun aspects of ownership, I am wondering if I could even use a C5 to get me to and from work - not every day, of course, just nice sunny ones! I already cycle the 6.5 miles (each way) to work and back, along country roads with very little traffic, but one of my first questions is how well a C5 might deal with the hills. There's nothing particularly steep, but some of them are quite long. How would I get on and, if necessary, what modifications would I need to make? Obviously, please say if you think it's a completely mad idea altogether as all feedback is hugely appreciated at this stage.

Finally, are there any forum members in the Somerset/Dorset area who would be willing to show me their C5 and talk me through a few things? If there are then I can't think of a better way to get hold of some first-hand advice.

Anyway, thanks for having me here!

Derk
« Last Edit: 27, March, 2011 - 20:29:36 by Derk »

Karl

Re: Hi all!
« Reply #1 on: 27, March, 2011 - 21:03:39 »
welcome to c5alive  ;D

Umpa and RetroAndy have been using c5's for commuting so you might get some words of wisdom from them later on  8)

In my humble opinion the c5 does struggle with hills but then I hate peddling, hence my quest for more power and better gears. As you cycle already, you might have a different opion and better peddling legs  - as you rightly say, trying one out would be helpful. If you can get to one of the meetings or events you'd probably be able to try one out.

Derk

« Reply #2 on: 29, March, 2011 - 21:58:59 »
Thanks  ;D

As I said, I am on the lookout for a C5, but in the meantime I'm enjoying reading all about the restorations that people have done plus all the various mods. That metal gearbox in development looks brilliant plus I've seen various hub gear arrangements, which I imagine would be a real boon.

Anyway, it's great to be here!

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #3 on: 31, March, 2011 - 08:06:04 »
Hello Derk, and welcome to the forum from me, as Karl said I have used mine lots for going to work and back, its about 6 miles a day and I would re-charge the battery after three days, but the route is flat and I do peedle plenty, really nice to here of someone new wanting to join in the fun of a C5 ownership.

Retro Andy. 

ScubaChris

« Reply #4 on: 31, March, 2011 - 10:33:53 »
Welcome to the forum Derk  :D

I bought my first C5 just over a week ago as a complete wreck and thanks to the help, advice and parts I got through this site I'm well into the restoration: http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1753.0

As I mentioned elsewhere, it does make financial sense to spend a bit more up front on a decent C5 as it will save you money in the long run but I have to say I'm really enjoying working on it. There's nothing too challenging and each day you can make good progress with it. Plus the fact you've completely stripped and re-built it means you'll know your vehicle inside out.

I've no idea about commuting although I guess it's what these were originally designed for. A C5 would be impractical for my commute, I'm going to use it purely for leisure.

C.

Derk

« Reply #5 on: 04, April, 2011 - 20:04:29 »
Thanks for the words of encouragement!

I think I'm going to be okay as far as range goes, even if that means a dual-battery set up. The hills might still be a problem but I guess I'll just have to get on and try it.

I'm watching everything on ebay (are there any other places where people sell?) and notice that real basket cases tend to get ignored unless they're cheap enough whereas anything in good nick and working fetches good money. However, I can see the benefits of restoring a C5 yourself so that you know everything is spot on. Even a good one should have a good check-over, I suppose.

So now looking for any firendly owners or sellers within strikng distance.

ScubaChris

« Reply #6 on: 04, April, 2011 - 21:47:38 »
Derk,

If your budget will stretch to it then you could do a lot worse than the one Karl is selling here: http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1773.0

It looks like a very nice one!

C.