News:

C5 Alive attending the following event
Easter Sunday 20th April 2014 - Sandwich Gears of Change Motor Show - Kent
http://classicmusicandmotors.co.uk/flv_portfolio/motor-shows/

Author Topic: Battery time  (Read 1765 times)

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
Battery time
« on: 04, May, 2010 - 08:23:23 »
I have been running with 85ah lesuire battery which when I first used it completed Boo Boo's run with out losing a bar on the C5 battery indicator - recently ,however, it's not been performing too well and it is under a year old. For some strange reason I decided to read the instruction's on my charger an noted the comment 'not suitable as a caravan battery charger' of which this battery is. I was always a fan of slow and gentle charges to look after the battery - however I don't my super safe charger is giving enough amps to fully charge it - found this on the internet :

A new, fully charged battery produces 2.1 volts per cell or 12.6 volts for a 12 volt battery. You must understand what voltage and amperage mean. Voltage is a measure of electrical pressure. Amperage is the amount of current passing through a conductor. As a battery discharges - goes dead - the electrical resistance increases especially with todays maintenance-free batteries. A 6 amp charger probably will not fully charge your battery since the internal resistance of the dead battery is so high. You should slow charge the battery but I recommend a charger with an output of 10-12 amps, see if you can borrow one.

Going to up the amps and see if it helps - ps so much for my ONC in electronic engineering !!!

Karl

Re: Battery time
« Reply #1 on: 04, May, 2010 - 17:11:58 »
Let us know how you get on mate, I've always used an Optimate motorcycle battery charger and don't seem to have any problems with that  :-\.