News:

Welcome to C5alive, the best place for help & advice on how to get the most from your iconic Sinclair C5. Check the meetings section today for events near you.
C5alive.co.uk  - Keeping the C5 Alive !!

Author Topic: J'ai un C5!!!!  (Read 41441 times)

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
Re: J'ai un C5!!!!
« Reply #30 on: 24, April, 2009 - 23:26:47 »
I thought a lot of my wires had been cut when i stripped it apart, but discovered there are a lot of spare wiring built into the main loom for accessories like indicators, i looked at other pictures and compared mine.

Retro Andy 

Karl

« Reply #31 on: 25, April, 2009 - 09:44:04 »
Looks as though you are getting to grips with your C5 mate. I'd compare it to a house renovation or car restoration - at the very start it always looks a lot worse before it gets any better  ;)

Work out what needs doing first, what can be fixed and what has to be replaced - and how original you want to keep it. For example, neither "voodoo" or "Malcolm" run on the standard pod and control box setup. 

Andy is right about the spare wires , some spares are there for connecting to the indicator kit and the electric horn.

Having the pod checked by C5martin might be worth considering, at least that way you will know for sure if it is fully functional or not
 http://c5alive.co.uk/ecommerce/product_info.php?cPath=2&products_id=34&osCsid=3c8a9c61b69be3782ad5c03540ed2da7

The original Sinclair battery chargers are still very good chargers, a sort of forerunner of the Optimate type chargers you see today. But they are getting on a bit , so I never leave mine unattended when they are in use.
 http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=383.0

If the motor was serviced by Adam there should have been a receipt, if that's gone missing why not contact Adam and see if he has any record of what was done - and how long ago.He also sells the wiring looms, but I've no idea how much.

Scott is busy sorting out a C5 similar to yours, so it can be done. Andy's is another example of what can be achieved, so keep up the good work !

Once you get your C5 up and running you'll have that lovely feeling of a job well done  8)

Offline minimin

• Battery level: 0
« Reply #32 on: 25, April, 2009 - 09:56:45 »
Looks as though you are getting to grips with your C5 mate. I'd compare it to a house renovation or car restoration - at the very start it always looks a lot worse before it gets any better  ;)

Work out what needs doing first, what can be fixed and what has to be replaced - and how original you want to keep it. For example, neither "voodoo" or "Malcolm" run on the standard pod and control box setup. 

Andy is right about the spare wires , some spares are there for connecting to the indicator kit and the electric horn.

Having the pod checked by C5martin might be worth considering, at least that way you will know for sure if it is fully functional or not
 http://c5alive.co.uk/ecommerce/product_info.php?cPath=2&products_id=34&osCsid=3c8a9c61b69be3782ad5c03540ed2da7

The original Sinclair battery chargers are still very good chargers, a sort of forerunner of the Optimate type chargers you see today. But they are getting on a bit , so I never leave mine unattended when they are in use.
 http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=383.0

If the motor was serviced by Adam there should have been a receipt, if that's gone missing why not contact Adam and see if he has any record of what was done - and how long ago.He also sells the wiring looms, but I've no idea how much.

Scott is busy sorting out a C5 similar to yours, so it can be done. Andy's is another example of what can be achieved, so keep up the good work !

Once you get your C5 up and running you'll have that lovely feeling of a job well done  8)

Thanks Karl. the wiring looms are £29. Any idea how to get the front light off?

Karl

« Reply #33 on: 25, April, 2009 - 10:04:25 »
Remove the bulb holder to prevent damage to the lense

Put your hand up under the front bodywork by the front wheel. Gently squeeze the two retaining lugs together and the headlight should lift out.

The emphasis here is on gently, the plastic is old and getting brittle.

Offline minimin

« Reply #34 on: 25, April, 2009 - 10:10:13 »
Remove the bulb holder to prevent damage to the lense

Put your hand up under the front bodywork by the front wheel. Gently squeeze the two retaining lugs together and the headlight should lift out.

The emphasis here is on gently, the plastic is old and getting brittle.

Thanks Karl, done that. The light is out, and the bulb is intact. The red and purple wires to the back light and switch seem to be the only thing that is intact!!!!!!!  ;) Off to the cycle shop to drop off the C5 (pedals are being removed)!!!

Offline minimin

« Reply #35 on: 25, April, 2009 - 11:20:56 »
Grrr. Got caught in a heavy downpour and then the boot fell off. Sitting at home trying to dry off... :(

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
« Reply #36 on: 25, April, 2009 - 13:52:00 »
Thats one of the joys of driving a true convertible i tell people when i get caught out in the rain ;)

Retro Andy.

Offline minimin

« Reply #37 on: 25, April, 2009 - 17:42:16 »
Thats one of the joys of driving a true convertible i tell people when i get caught out in the rain ;)

Retro Andy.

He he  ;D.
The bike is in the cycle shop and is being well looked after  8). Well, the next thing on the agenda...  WHAT IS WRONG WITH MY CONTROL POD???

The outside

The Box. This is all I have, what is it missing? There seems to be some silver thing on the bottom of the C5 that is still attached, but I'm not sure what thats all about.

Thanks
Mark
« Last Edit: 25, April, 2009 - 18:01:31 by minimin »

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 1
« Reply #38 on: 25, April, 2009 - 18:14:49 »
Hi Mark,

well from the picture it looks like

1) the top outer case and screws
2) Two fuses
3) top left where the opening is there should be a foam seal.

That box looks in very good nick from the picture, so when everything is plugged in it might work OK.  That missing cover might be a problem though.

The boot fell off because your two clips missing - its a common fault with C5's although mine has yet to fall off.

Just a quickie do you really want to paint the frame with hammerite ?  The original is a smooth grey.

keep up the good work

Ian..

Offline minimin

« Reply #39 on: 25, April, 2009 - 19:13:18 »
Hi Mark,

well from the picture it looks like

1) the top outer case and screws
2) Two fuses
3) top left where the opening is there should be a foam seal.

That box looks in very good nick from the picture, so when everything is plugged in it might work OK.  That missing cover might be a problem though.

The boot fell off because your two clips missing - its a common fault with C5's although mine has yet to fall off.

Just a quickie do you really want to paint the frame with hammerite ?  The original is a smooth grey.

keep up the good work

Ian..

I was given red primer to do it in! What sort of paint to you use? Does it look similar?
Thanks
Mark

Offline minimin

« Reply #40 on: 25, April, 2009 - 23:42:38 »
Control Box Glass Fuses.
Should there actually be a fuse here? And what purpose do the glass ones serve?
Thanks
Mark

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
« Reply #41 on: 26, April, 2009 - 10:06:18 »
I powder coated my frame it cost me about £20.00 and the end result was worth it, i think your best bet is to send some pictures to Karl and see if he can supply you with the missing bits, or keep an eye out on e-bay for a spares or repair c5 going cheap with the bits you need, as to get them seperatly is going to be difficult , good luck and keep up the good progress.

Retro Andy.

Offline minimin

« Reply #42 on: 26, April, 2009 - 19:30:58 »
I powder coated my frame it cost me about £20.00 and the end result was worth it, i think your best bet is to send some pictures to Karl and see if he can supply you with the missing bits, or keep an eye out on e-bay for a spares or repair c5 going cheap with the bits you need, as to get them seperatly is going to be difficult , good luck and keep up the good progress.

Retro Andy.
How DO you Powder Coat it? And Karl, the bits I need are in the Control Box Picture above and a lock, or a way of getting a lock to fit a key. Also, should the lock look like this?

The key doesn't fit, but it does fit the ignition.

Offline minimin

« Reply #43 on: 26, April, 2009 - 20:59:08 »
Should there be another part to the lock? Also, how long ish is the front break cable?

Karl

« Reply #44 on: 26, April, 2009 - 23:24:04 »
Should there be another part to the lock? Also, how long ish is the front break cable?

There should be a "U" shaped clip that holds the lock to the boot , and the barrel should have a sort of "tail" on the end that moves when you turn the key. I dont have any spare boot lock & key sets.

The front brake cable outers are just over 1m long, with the inner cable needing to be longer still. You will also need all the ferrules if the originals are missing. These stop the cable being pulled up into the lever assembly.
http://c5alive.co.uk/ecommerce/product_info.php?cPath=19&products_id=78&osCsid=ad0d356f5c15c9384b3510b9dd73b306

Fuses;
http://c5alive.co.uk/ecommerce/product_info.php?cPath=19&products_id=37&osCsid=ad0d356f5c15c9384b3510b9dd73b306

Replacement Control Box;
http://c5alive.co.uk/ecommerce/product_info.php?cPath=19&products_id=176&osCsid=ad0d356f5c15c9384b3510b9dd73b306

Control Box repair;
http://c5alive.co.uk/ecommerce/product_info.php?cPath=19&products_id=35&osCsid=ad0d356f5c15c9384b3510b9dd73b306

« Last Edit: 26, April, 2009 - 23:29:45 by Karl (C5Alive) »