News:

C5alive filming with "oldgoldtech.com" at Brooklands Museum - 13th November 2010
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1440.0

Author Topic: Public speaking  (Read 3233 times)

Offline danny7147

• Battery level: 10
  • If at first you don't succeed... pay someone else.
    • Bikes To The Future
Public speaking
« on: 28, March, 2013 - 17:19:11 »
Completely unrelated to Sinclairs, but I'm asking in the hope that someone knows about this stuff. A job came up at work, I applied, and due to my experience and record I've been given the first interview. I'm not too worried about that, but it culminates in me having to give a 5 minute presentation. Now, the subject is one I'm fine with, but what I'm wondering is whether to ad lib it, whether I should write, practice and learn a speech, or whether to take notes. Also, I'm not great at speaking under pressure, so! Does anyone have any advice for me as it's a pretty amazing career opportunity :-)

Offline Phoenix

• www.PhoenixDriving.org
  • Battery level: 3
  • I love my C5
    • Driving lessons Cirencester and Cheltenham
Re: Public speaking
« Reply #1 on: 29, March, 2013 - 00:05:36 »
Try rehearsing your presentation I front of a few friends or family, if you adlib you will find its to short, remember to keep eye contact, and if using presentation aids, over head projectors etc, make sure you stay facing the people your talking to, at the start try laying out what your going to do, ie, hello every one my name is ....., I will be doing a presentaion on ........, I will first like to tell you about x then I will talk about y and I will then like to go over z, and there will be time for any questions you may have at the end.

Try to keep it informative and interesting, if using facts and figures, make sure you know the sorce of the info, as your audience may ask where your info is from, if you get asked a question you don't know say something like " thanks a good question, but I unsure of the exact answer, I will find out for you and give you a ring tomorrow morning"

Don't constantly read from notes, as your audance will soon get board.

If you give out hand outs, make sure they have no more than 5 or 6 points on them, as if they are crammed with information, people will just stop reading them

If you mentally dry up, just try asking the audiance what there opinion is on your last point.

Try to think of any questions you may be asked, so that your prepared, if you practice with friends or family make note of the questions they ask, get them to give you honest feedback.

If you are worried about speaking in public, go to a public place and do your presentation in front of your family and friends there a park or mac Donald's would do, you will feel a bit silly, but if you can do it your feel great, and it will make the real thing seem easy.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Offline danny7147

• Battery level: 10
  • If at first you don't succeed... pay someone else.
    • Bikes To The Future
« Reply #2 on: 29, March, 2013 - 13:01:16 »
Wow, that's excellent advice, thanks Phoenix! I'm a bus driver, have been for 16 years, and the job's for an instructor. Well, as I said before, experience is easy etc, but the presentation is on "Why it's important to teach a trainee how to fill out a defect card correctly from their first day". Pretty easy stuff, but what I'm planning now is to have notes written on the back of a defect card to hold, so that it looks like I'm just holding one for emphasis whereas it's actually my guide on what to say... Round like a good plan? And I'll certainly keep you posted! :-)

Karl

« Reply #3 on: 29, March, 2013 - 13:36:30 »
Dont write too much on the back of your prompt card, just the relevant "bullet" points needed to jog your memory and keep the flow of your presentation going smoothly.

Top advice by Phoenix, I did a presentation skills course at work and it was just like he says  ;)

Offline Phoenix

• www.PhoenixDriving.org
  • Battery level: 3
  • I love my C5
    • Driving lessons Cirencester and Cheltenham
« Reply #4 on: 29, March, 2013 - 14:10:38 »
Wow, that's excellent advice, thanks Phoenix! I'm a bus driver, have been for 16 years, and the job's for an instructor. Well, as I said before, experience is easy etc, but the presentation is on "Why it's important to teach a trainee how to fill out a defect card correctly from their first day". Pretty easy stuff, but what I'm planning now is to have notes written on the back of a defect card to hold, so that it looks like I'm just holding one for emphasis whereas it's actually my guide on what to say... Round like a good plan? And I'll certainly keep you posted! :-)

Wow what small world I was a bus driver, or though only for a year and a half, I then became a driving instructor(car) and have been for about 12 and a half years, I also train instructors so sometimes have we do class room stuff, you will love being an instructor really is the best job in the world, hope it all goes well. Good luck