C5 Help > C5 Support

MK1 or MK2?

(1/1)

blastfromthepast:
from my research it seems that the original MK1 can easily be identified as having a grey boot. The MK2 had a white boot.

I also read that the MK1 had a sticker on the centre console that said made by Hoover & Sinclair.
MK2 they apparently dropped the Hoover name off the sticker.

thing is, mine has a white boot, suggesting MK2. But it also has a sticker that says Hoover & Sinclair suggesting MK1.

assuming my research is correct, what have I got?

KarlG:
Hi,

allow me to send you a wobbler, and set you into a spin.

You quote Mk1 and Mk2, then you should add a Mk3. ;D

I don't know when the change-over of the boots took place but, IIRC it took place at Hoover.

The serial number may help to define if you have a Mk3. To decipher the serial n°. here is an example:
V50100545. Forget the V, the n° is set up as follows
5  01  00545
5 = 1985
01 = January
00545 = the 545th item from the line in Jan. 85

Hoover ceased production in Aug. 85, but I have 2 C5s with the serial n°. V510, this indicates they were produced in Nov. 85. These were probably produced by Adam Harper (at that time a Sinclair employee), who bought up all that was left over at Hoover.

I have 4 C5s that can be identified, two are pre Aug. 85, and two are post Aug. The pre Aug. models have Hoover on the stickers, but the post Aug. don't. I term the  post Aug models Mk3s. ;D ;D

If it helps the Jan. and May models (the May model unused out of the box), have grey boots.

blastfromthepast:
thanks for that.

my serial is: V 100050201492

so 1985, February, 1492nd to roll off the line

so a Mk1 or 2.

cheers

KarlG:
Hi Gary,

unless you are the original owner, or know who the original owner was, there is no way of knowing. Yours may have been issued with a grey boot and at some time in the past it was swopped for a light coloured one.

I should imagine that they were producing C5s with both colours at the same time until stocks of the grey ones expired. But as I quoted the unused one that came out of the box is a May issue with a grey boot. So I assume as yours is a Feb. issue, you have, as you term it, a Mk1 with a swopped boot.

blastfromthepast:
Thanks

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version