C5 Help > C5 Support

C5 Battery Issue

(1/1)

USA-C5-Owner:
I am sorry it has been long since last posting, as I have been away and not working on my C5. :-[     I actually have the C5 running (finally).  The C5 runs and drives - Lights, horn and signals work fine.  The problem is that the battery discharges from 12.7 Volts to 11.7 Volts very quickly.  At 11.7 Volts, the C5 has a hard time even moving under it's own strength on flat surfaces.

I am able to drive about a mile before the battery is this low.  The battery accepts a recharge, and the charger says "FULL".  At this time, Voltage measures good after charging, but when used, the C5 has a very limited range. 

Is the battery shot or is it something else?    It is a deep cycle 12V marine battery.  Something I had laying around in the garage.  Very large battery with a large capacity.  However, it is a WET cell marine, not an AGM or GEL

Any experience in this matter would be helpful.

jockywilson11:
Sounds like you need a new one! A 40 ah car battery should be good for 10 miles, I used to get about 17 miles out of an 80ah leisure or deep cycle battery.

Move away from lead acid ones if you can and use a couple of 12v LiFePO lithium golf cart batteries. They weigh much less than the lead acid ones, and make pedalling much easier.

KarlG:
Hi,

looks like your battery is nearing the toes up condition. Have you checked the fluid level?.
I would recommend that you fully charge the battery, then take it to a battery service centre and have the capactity, and the fluid tested. One other thing you can try is using a battery impuse rejuvenator. this removes the sulfate buildup on the plates, but after having it tested.
In the old days wet batteries were drained and washed out with distilled water (to remove the sulfate and plate slime, then refilled with new battery fluid.

Wet batteries shouldn't be stored in the 'wet' condidition for long periods, they should be drained and stored, inverted with the caps removed, in the dry condition. Only it's a bit late in the day for this info.

Hope this is of some help.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version