News:

C5alive filming with "oldgoldtech.com" at Brooklands Museum - 13th November 2010
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1440.0

Author Topic: 24volt conversion and fan question  (Read 1954 times)

Offline Jim

• Battery level: 2
24volt conversion and fan question
« on: 27, October, 2010 - 22:28:25 »
http://s830.photobucket.com/albums/zz222/javagreenmini/Sinclair%20C5/?action=view&current=IMG_5617.jpg

Here's a photo of my 24v conversion
I need to fit a computer fan and wonder if it makes any difference if it's blowing or sucking air through the motor?
Also I'm using a cheap controller that's limited to about 15amps. The c5 goes faster than 12v but accelerates much slower even on full throttle. I am happy with the performance and assumed that the lack of acceleration would reduce the strain on the gearbox but wasn't sure if this would put more or less stress on the motor if it can only draw 15 amps?

Karl

Re: 24volt conversion and fan question
« Reply #1 on: 28, October, 2010 - 09:28:45 »
electricdave had the fan suck the heat off the motor for "challenger", whereas "voodoo" has a couple of fans blowing air across the motor and the controller. I'm not sure of the pro's and cons of each method, just that any cooling effect has to be worthwhile.

As for the 24v performance, "voodoo" has adjustable settings for acceleration,deceleration and top speed. Having played with these it is still underperforming,despite a replacement throttle and controller. Next up is replacement batteries, so just a thought - are your batteries giving enough oomph ?

Offline Jim

• Battery level: 2
« Reply #2 on: 28, October, 2010 - 20:51:07 »
Thanks for the reply booboo, I'll just get on with making the fan brackets then before I cook the motor  :)

Offline techytype

• Battery level: 0
« Reply #3 on: 28, October, 2010 - 20:54:43 »
not technically based comment, but imho blowing onto the motor would be preferable. otherwise surely, your sucking air away only more from the nearest point of the motor if end mounted.

i draw on design of computer cooling fans, which exhaust out not suck in,. the components are within a case so air is drawn through the vents and so over the components then blown out.

opposite open environment of the C5 motor.

Alan