News:

Welcome to C5alive, the best place for help & advice on how to get the most from your iconic Sinclair C5. Check the meetings section today for events near you.
C5alive.co.uk  - Keeping the C5 Alive !!

Author Topic: My first C5!  (Read 11236 times)

ScubaChris

My first C5!
« on: 23, March, 2011 - 17:52:13 »
Well talk about being thrown in at the deep end... I collected a C5 yesterday and I've just got around to assessing it properly. There's no mistaking the fact that this one has had a hard life, it looks like it's been dumped outside for a few years judging by the quantity of dead spiders and snails I've just shovelled out of it  ;)
It's going to be a pretty big job but I'm sure with the help of a few kind souls sharing their knowledge (and parts!) on this site I'll have it back on the road this summer. These things are getting rarer so I feel pretty good about bringing one back to life.

Initial assessment:
* Tyres and inners (original Sinclair) have completely had it and need replacing. - New set ordered.
* Front wheel cover is missing.
* All wheel bearings are knackered.
* Main frame, forks and 'A' frame are very rusty but it looks superficial rather than structural. They're earmarked for sand blasting and powder coating.
* Boot lid has a few holes drilled through it, it's missing the inner container and one of the retaining 'U' shaped plates from one of the hinges.
* Fittings that attach the top of the 'A' frame to the body are missing.
* The electrics seem to have been butchered at some point and I'd like a bit of advice (see pics below). There is only one battery clamp tagged onto the end of what I assume is the negative wire. The wire I suspect should go to the positive clamp actually goes to a toggle switch fitted to the side of the body and then a thinner gauge wire runs back from this switch to the control box. Weird  :-\

I'm nowhere close to sending any power round the circuits yet so I have no idea as to the condition of the control box or pod. I suspect they will all be tested on my workbench when they've been removed from the vehicle. Need to have a look inside the control box first to make sure the circuit hasn't been fried.

Well, thanks for reading. Any suggestions will be gratefully received and if anyone can suggest where I might get any of the bits I need then that would be a big help.

Oh yeah, what's the best method for filling holes in the bodywork??

Final question: What's the bunch of unconnected female spade connectors which can be seen near the chain tensioner on the 5th pic?

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
Re: My first C5!
« Reply #1 on: 23, March, 2011 - 18:08:27 »
Looks like you have some work cut out there but it can be restored and put back on the road ....

The wires underneath (2) are used for the horn ..And the others are just spares ...

Bye Chas

Jonny

« Reply #2 on: 23, March, 2011 - 18:19:48 »
hi, congratulations on getting a c5  :) the forum and ebay are a good place for spare parts, for the bearings karl has the rear wheel cage type and i believe chas has some other types available. i got the few bits n bobs needed for my c5 off of forum members. not sure what would be best to fill body holes as i have no experience with it, maybe white sugru? as for the female spade connectors i have no idea but i have them in my c5 un connected and everything works .

even though c5 restoring is alot of hard work its also lots of fun and very rewarding  :)

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #3 on: 23, March, 2011 - 20:42:50 »
Looks like you might have a bit of work ahead of you, but you will enjoy it and when its back on the road you will enjoy it even more, feel free to ask any questions and please keep us up to date with your progress.

Retro Andy.

ScubaChris

« Reply #4 on: 24, March, 2011 - 15:07:16 »
@ Jonny:

I'd never heard of sugru before you mentioned it. Looks like it sets more like rubber than hard plastic but as long as it's a good colour match then I'm sure it would be fine for filling in a few holes. I might buy some to experiment with and let you all know if it's any good...

C.

Karl

« Reply #5 on: 24, March, 2011 - 19:13:48 »
In reply to one of the queries on one of your pictures, the fittings on top of the "A" frame are for the fitting of the high-vis mast and are not meant to secure the bodyshell to the A frame. There should be two small black plastic "top hats" between the metal frame and the bodyshell that stick out through the relevant holes (near the top edge of the rear light). You should then have plastic collars that fit over the top of these to help keep the poles of the hi-vis mast in place, but these are nearly always missing as they tend to fall off  :D. If you remove the rear light, there should be two screws attaching the top of the A frame to the bodyshell.

ScubaChris

« Reply #6 on: 25, March, 2011 - 07:58:57 »
Aha... Yes it's the little 'top hats' I'm missing. Are these difficult to come by as spares or would anyone have a couple lying around that they'd consider selling?

C.

ScubaChris

« Reply #7 on: 27, March, 2011 - 16:25:59 »
Update: Well I'm working on it when I can but what with work and other commitments I tend to just nip out to the garage whenever I get a spare 15 minutes. The body is mostly stripped and I'm almost at the stage when I can lift it from the chassis. The only fly in the ointment is removal of the handlebar stem. I've removed the bolt & cone but will it come out? Will it hell. I've tried wiggling it, talking to it, swearing at it... I'm now at the stage of belting it with a 5lb lump hammer. It appears the stem has rusted solid to the outer tube so I've left it to soak up a liberal amount of WD40 since last night. When I get home tonight it's out with the lump hammer and more choice language...

C.

Karl

« Reply #8 on: 27, March, 2011 - 18:39:51 »
I use a couple of socket set extension bars as a drift when hammering out stubborn handlebar stems. Works everytime  8);
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=240.0

...make sure everything is disconnected first, place the c5 upside down on a black and decker workmate and off you go - gets rid of those pent up frustrations  ;D

ScubaChris

« Reply #9 on: 27, March, 2011 - 21:54:45 »
Well that sounded like a great method so I've just been out in the garage doing exactly that. I've just been hammering away at it for about 20 minutes but to no avail. Getting a little concerned now! Just splurged another load of WD40 over it hoping it eventually soaks through. If all else fails I might try some plumbers freeze spray on the inside of the tube in the hope it might contract from the outer tube. Normally I'd apply heat to the outer tube to expand it but the outer tube is inside the frame and I can't apply heat directly to it.

On a more positive note, I took the cover off the control box and all the circuitry looked brand new so I took the plunge and connected it up to a car battery. Must be the first time in many years it's had electrons flowing through its veins and everything powered up great  ;D The headlight & tail light lit up, the pod lit up like a Christmas tree and a push of the 'go' button had the motor spinning merrily. The motor will definitely need a service because it's filthy and needed a little manual help to spin up at first but now it seems to be running quite happily!

C.

ScubaChris

« Reply #10 on: 28, March, 2011 - 20:43:41 »
Well... no matter how much abuse I gave that stem it just wouldn't budge. I've been belting seven shades of **** out of it for 3 days now and it wasn't happening. I was starting to become concerned that I would damage other parts if I kept hammering away at it so with no other options in sight I reluctantly had to get out my hacksaw and cut off the top off the stem to allow me to remove the body  :(

After stripping everything off the frame I finally managed to get the stem out of the steering tube by applying heat which I couldn't do in-situ. I'm so glad I didn't keep hammering away though because it was obvious I'd dented the frame so I had to get it on my bench and beat it back into shape! My options now are to find a welder who can re-join my sawn stem back together or try to get hold of a replacement one from someone.

The frames & front forks have now gone off to the powder coaters and I should have them back in a couple of days. I've also washed the wheels and fitted the new tyres and inner tubes.

Top of the stem sawn off:

Removing the last bits from the frame:

Wiring loom stripped out:

Body waiting it's turn for some TLC:

Body stripped, de-stickered and ready for a good deep clean:

Frames & forks ready to go off to the powder coaters:

New tyres & inner tubes fitted and ready to eat up some miles:

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #11 on: 29, March, 2011 - 06:23:29 »
Its coming along well mate, i'm sure it will be back on the road looking good very soon  :)

Retro Andy.

ScubaChris

« Reply #12 on: 30, March, 2011 - 19:17:38 »
I've well and truly learnt the hard way that it's far cheaper to spend more initially on a good C5 that isn't missing any major components and hasn't spent the last 15 years rotting in someone's garden than it is to buy a basket case and restore it.
Hey ho... It's all part of the learning curve!  :)
On the other hand, if I hadn't taken this project on I'm sure it would have ended up on the local tip before too long so at least it will be another one saved and put back on the road.

Enough waffle, here are the latest pics...

The frames and forks have returned from the powder coaters but the dozy bleeder didn't mask off the bearing cups so I had to spend about 2 hours scraping the coating off them.

Still, they haven't been looking this good since they were new:

Steering components re-installed:

C.

mikegrifter

« Reply #13 on: 30, March, 2011 - 21:22:23 »
looking good mate, i am restoring a honda cb550 and they did the same to me never covered the cups, powder coating is a tough finish though

still looking for one for myself but might take your advice and buy a good one to start with

Karl

« Reply #14 on: 30, March, 2011 - 22:16:03 »
Hey scuba...that is looking better than new, should be proud of yourself  8).

As you say, sometimes "the journey" is part of the fun  ;D