News:

Welcome to C5alive, the best place for help & advice on how to get the most from your iconic Sinclair C5. Check the meetings section today for events near you.
C5alive.co.uk  - Keeping the C5 Alive !!

Author Topic: How Rude....  (Read 8339 times)

Offline Robosoft

• (c) 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd
  • Battery level: 3
  • You came in that thing? U'r braver than I thought!
    • Sinclair Research
How Rude....
« on: 01, August, 2011 - 22:19:31 »

I have been using this site for a couple of weeks now and didn't see this section so here goes.

From a new member to any other new members.

This is a great site - I had a life long ambition to own a C5.  When a friend said he just got one I said "thats it, its time." 

Within days I got one from the for sale section on here.

About me.

I am a computer engineer / programmer by trade and owe it all to Sir Clive.

If anybody needs help with electronics I'm your man.  Have fixed a few c5 pods and main boards now - and its only been two weeks.

Thats it for now.     

And when does the grin where off!
« Last Edit: 02, August, 2011 - 22:30:24 by Robosoft »

Offline vanpeebles

• Battery level: 1
Re: How Rude....
« Reply #1 on: 02, August, 2011 - 08:56:07 »
Please check out my QL forum:

http://www.qlforum.co.uk/

Nice to see all those Sinclair machines in your sig  8)

Offline Robosoft

• Sinclair Research
« Reply #2 on: 02, August, 2011 - 10:53:53 »
Nice QL forum will join later today.

Some good stuff in there.

I am more of a spectrum fan - I got a Boxed QL to help complete my boxed collection.  My prized Sinclair computer is a never used sealed Spectrum 128k  -   The last true sinclair branded computer.

Offline vanpeebles

« Reply #3 on: 02, August, 2011 - 11:02:10 »
I have a heatsink 128k but it's faulty. The only two Sinclairs I don't have is the +3 (which I've never fancied being Amstrad and those awful discs) and the zx80 which always goes for a fortune. Have you tried the z88 notepad computer?

copendriver

« Reply #4 on: 02, August, 2011 - 15:57:19 »
Welcome  ;D

I too have only just taken ownership of my 1st C5 within the last few weeks & grin has yet to wear off.

I was a Spectrum 48K Child and still bear the scars! In that I've an RSI injured small finger from hours of computer play as a kid! One game in particular called "Harrier" or something like that, utilized a key in the extreme Right Hand Side of the keyboard for missile launch & I blame this completely!!!! Still it's a small price to pay for the hours of fun I had.

Neil

Offline vanpeebles

« Reply #5 on: 02, August, 2011 - 16:29:42 »

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #6 on: 02, August, 2011 - 16:51:18 »
Hi Robosoft - great to have you on board - I worked as a electronics prototype engineer back in the 80's and have been fixing control boxes etc for a while now and recently started to look into the pod problems - I have a number now with duff ULA chips giving a motor load on full indication - I know in the past it has been possible to get over certain problems with the ULA chip by using external components attached to the pins - is this something you think you maybe able to look into and overcome - it would be good to maybe get together and bounce some ideas around - Regards Marty

copendriver

« Reply #7 on: 02, August, 2011 - 16:56:13 »
Harrier Attack!

Now that's a blast from the past, yup this was the game alright!

Thanks Van.

Neil

Karl

« Reply #8 on: 02, August, 2011 - 18:51:36 »
Good to have you on the c5alive forum mate  8)

As radiomarty says, we are starting to take a more serious look at the pod problem - maybe we could meet up and discuss a few options over a cold beer sometime  ;D

Offline Robosoft

• Sinclair Research
« Reply #9 on: 02, August, 2011 - 21:04:01 »
As i have yet to see a board with a ula fault - i have never tried a work around.

Two things

1.  I have a great link with dennis ferranti R&D Labs,  Who made the original ULA's for the spectrums.   They also have a dept. for sourcing old obsolete components (may be able to get the c5 ula).

They have helped me out with some rare zx transistors no longer made.  They also take on small projects and make circuits in runs as low as 20x

2.  My farther in-law is a radio and tv engineer.  b4 retirement worked the local university electronics dept.  If anyone can put together a replacement ULA - via PIC Chip OR SX Chip to perform the same function he is the man.  But I see work on a replacement ULA has already been done.

So plenty of scope for something.

Offline Robosoft

• Sinclair Research
« Reply #10 on: 02, August, 2011 - 21:12:15 »
I have a heatsink 128k but it's faulty. The only two Sinclairs I don't have is the +3 (which I've never fancied being Amstrad and those awful discs) and the zx80 which always goes for a fortune. Have you tried the z88 notepad computer?

No not tried the z88 I went the way of the psion organiser 2.  Did bid on one last year via ebay.  Its a cambridge computer - not sure how much sir Clive had to do with it.  Would have loved to see the prototype spectrum portable he was working on (his spectrum come flat tv + microdrive).   I guess he settled on the z88 as Amstrad would have had the rights to all previous designs.

Do you want your 128k fixing? 

« Last Edit: 02, August, 2011 - 21:15:57 by Robosoft »

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #11 on: 02, August, 2011 - 21:40:55 »

1.  I have a great link with dennis ferranti R&D Labs,  Who made the original ULA's for the spectrums.   They also have a dept. for sourcing old obsolete components (may be able to get the c5 ula).

They have helped me out with some rare zx transistors no longer made.  They also take on small projects and make circuits in runs as low as 20x

Now that sounds very exciting - please make some enquiries if possible
« Last Edit: 02, August, 2011 - 21:42:29 by radiomarty »

Offline vanpeebles

« Reply #12 on: 02, August, 2011 - 22:04:38 »

No not tried the z88 I went the way of the psion organiser 2.  Did bid on one last year via ebay.  Its a cambridge computer - not sure how much sir Clive had to do with it.  Would have loved to see the prototype spectrum portable he was working on (his spectrum come flat tv + microdrive).   I guess he settled on the z88 as Amstrad would have had the rights to all previous designs.

Do you want your 128k fixing? 

I might do actually it's a shame to have it broken. Does the PSU you use for it matter? As I didn't have the original one. I also have a Psion II organiser  ;D

Offline Robosoft

• Sinclair Research
« Reply #13 on: 02, August, 2011 - 22:23:15 »
yes the psu is higher rated then the 48k  versions. 

Do you get a picture (or a nice black screen)

I miss my Psion    I lent it to some one and can't remember who.

Offline Lancealot

• Battery level: 5
  • Owning C5s are a pleasure and hassle..............
« Reply #14 on: 02, August, 2011 - 22:27:34 »
Sorry guys but I was a Commadore VIC20 kid. Just got a disc with all the different commadore emulators & 3500 games... Roll on VIC Blitz....................... ;D ;D ;D ;D

Lance