News:

Welcome to C5alive, the best place for help & advice on how to get the most from your iconic Sinclair C5. Check the meetings section today for events near you.
C5alive.co.uk  - Keeping the C5 Alive !!

Author Topic: ... washing machine ...  (Read 3285 times)

alexbromo

... washing machine ...
« on: 24, September, 2010 - 10:16:41 »
I've seen some very similar around my garage ...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Philips-Whirlpool-permag-washer-motor-P-No-481936158058_W0QQitemZ310231165382QQihZ021QQcategoryZ20714QQcmdZViewItem

"PHILIPS 082" washing machine: share the spare brushes with our C5 motor ...

:D

Alex Bromo

Karl

Re: ... washing machine ...
« Reply #1 on: 24, September, 2010 - 10:46:54 »
..that is probably where the myth that c5's are powered by washing machine motors comes from !

...that and the fact they were assembled at Hoover  ;D

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 1
« Reply #2 on: 04, November, 2010 - 08:57:28 »
I know this is an old post - but..... it turns out that some the body design was borrowed from a washing machine motor but nothing else.  I remember Adam telling me that the design was a breakthrough and was as efficient as it could possibly be at the time.

For what its worth there is another man who claims it came out of a floor scrubber, but I just don't see it, besides Adam (who worked for Sir Clive - on the C5) says it was custom designed for the job by a subsidiary Philips called Polymotor - I tend to believe him - lol

Offline techytype

• Battery level: 0
« Reply #3 on: 05, November, 2010 - 12:22:35 »
my neighbour (who is a 2nd generation washing machine repair engineer) recognised the motor straight off, says he can source the brushes if anyone needs them.

must admit, i do wonder why the complex reduction nylon gear box was used, in favour against a simpler larger cam sprocket direct on the axle to reduce the gearing ratio.

Alan

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: 05, November, 2010 - 19:11:05 »
It was for noise reduction. The idea was that when you get the C5 serviced they would replace the gearbox if needed.

Offline techytype

• Battery level: 0
« Reply #5 on: 07, November, 2010 - 17:39:49 »
seems potentially a very expensive 'option' route  :o

Alan

Karl

« Reply #6 on: 07, November, 2010 - 19:03:10 »
seems potentially a very expensive 'option' route  :o

Alan

..not really, think back to when the c5 was launched - all the accesories and service parts were (relatively speaking) quite cheap. If the c5 had enjoyed the success Sir Clive had hoped for then mass production of the gearboxes would have kept them incredibly cheap. It is only their rarity that has forced the values up ( same as with indicator kits)

I was once told that the original gearbox was not actually meant to last that long. The intention was to replace a gearbox as a matter of course (every six months ?) when your friendly Hoover engineer paid a visit. If it is true then we are doing quite well still using them after 25years..

Offline coverman

• Battery level: 4
« Reply #7 on: 08, November, 2010 - 09:59:14 »
so this was not a really economical vehicle, consuming a gearbox every six months! Still. it saved on development work, field testing etc-one of the prinicipal reasons for the collapse of British manufacturing industy.When it breaks, let the customer sort it out.

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: 09, November, 2010 - 18:15:48 »
All figures are approximate, as the old saying goes 'your milage may vary'.  You need to look at the economics of the idea, a gearbox mass produced back then would have been 10 a penny & quick easy fit. As for the collapse of the British Manufacturing Industry i'm sure we cant blame Sir Clive Sinclair for that....