News:

C5alive - The Premier Sinclair C5 website
https://www.c5alive.co.uk

Author Topic: New Member loooking at a project  (Read 3659 times)

Offline adam_d

• Wannabe Restorer.
  • Battery level: 1
New Member loooking at a project
« on: 15, July, 2012 - 13:47:00 »
Hi Guys, I'm 20 and I'm up in the Teesside area, looking for a C5 as a little summer project. I like fixing/restoring things.  ;D

I'm probably going to look at this C5, but I had a couple of questions I wanted to ask.

Aside from it being missing the boot, front wheel cover, and one of the rear centre hubs, and the shell needing a good clean up, does that chassis look a bit far gone at the rear, or am I just being picky? It does have the 2 original keys, and the original key switch, I think it looks like a good project, and is fairly nearby me, just thought I should get a second opinion on how it looks/what it is worth.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Lancealot

• Battery level: 5
  • Owning C5s are a pleasure and hassle..............
Re: New Member loooking at a project
« Reply #1 on: 15, July, 2012 - 17:27:26 »
Hi and welcome to the forum.

In regard to the chassis, forks & rear hoop I get mine sand blasted +£25 plus then I 2 x coats of primer, 2 x coats of gloss and 2 x coats of lacquer. They come up like new.

Just need to make sure the chassis is not bent or coming apart. Worst case you get them for about £10 for the forum.

The rear axle can be rubbed down using sandpaper / wet n' dry and they come up shinning silver again. I cannot see if it has the POD from the photos and again they can be repair or replaced from the forum. The rear (red) lense looks in bad shape.

Speak to BooBoo (Karl) as he has quite a lot of spares.

Lance

Offline adam_d

• Wannabe Restorer.
« Reply #2 on: 15, July, 2012 - 19:25:50 »
Thanks for your reply. My main concern really, is that I don't pay waaay over the top for it, bearing in mind it's condition, and unknown as to whether or not it works. It does have a pod, and is mostly complete according to the seller. As I say, I'm definitely going to go and look at it.

Karl

« Reply #3 on: 16, July, 2012 - 11:48:22 »
As I say, I'm definitely going to go and look at it.

Thats the most important bit  ;) They all tend to photograph well so a good look is always a worth the effort.

Take a read through our buyers guide ;
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,429.0.html

..and some of the other restoration topics found in the forum guide. It will help you to look in the right areas.
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,627.0.html

Good luck and let us know how you get on  :)

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
« Reply #4 on: 16, July, 2012 - 13:52:24 »
Hi there had a look at the motor and there seem to be no fingers on it if it's true the motor will be no good ....and you may find that the gearbox is also no good ?????????????????????

bye Chas

Offline Lagganman

• Battery level: 2
  • 4 legs may be better than 2 but 3 wheels better then anything!
« Reply #5 on: 17, July, 2012 - 22:35:08 »
Hi Adam I'm very near you Sunderland bought mine from Karl BooBoo fully restored great fun. I looked at this one been on EBay before with same photos but listed as Jarrow but I think it's the same seller it sold for £100 it also looks very similar to a one listed on Gumtree for£50 that was sold in Bishop Auckland. Anyway welcome to the site and hope you get sorted soon Simon

Offline adam_d

• Wannabe Restorer.
« Reply #6 on: 17, July, 2012 - 23:32:02 »
Thanks for all the replies guys.

I have had a look through the buyers guide, and yes, I see what you mean about the motor. Also yeah, this is the one that was on ebay, it's also on gumtree. Sadly, not seen in, the seller wanted £125, but I couldn't make it up to see it yet, and has now changed and is only interested in a swap. The one in Bishop Auckland I e-mailed, but I guess it had sold by the time I found it.

Never mind, there will always be another project one somewhere.  :P

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #7 on: 18, July, 2012 - 23:12:23 »
Hello Adam and welcome to the forum.

Retro Andy.