News:

Meeting the Gadget Show team
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=404.0

Author Topic: Battery Options  (Read 1948 times)

Offline steve_1360

• Battery level: 2
Battery Options
« on: 15, April, 2012 - 08:32:35 »
I've tried a 065 battery (55Ah) which only gave me 6-7 miles before the guage read 2 red bars, not the racing snake i use to be  ;)
I want about 12 miles really as this will allow around trip to work and the C5 meeting runs  8)
Therefore what is the best way to go
1 85ish Ah leisure battery or 2 42ish Ah car batteries (063) ?
Probably not much difference in cost as I will have to add another set of battery clamps. But are 2 better than one ?
I'm leaning towards 2 batteries but would like other peoples experiences please

Cheers Steve

Offline Lancealot

• Battery level: 5
  • Owning C5s are a pleasure and hassle..............
Re: Battery Options
« Reply #1 on: 15, April, 2012 - 08:51:20 »
I would go with the 2 batteries. I had problems with my leisure battery 85AHr. I have been using S5 Bosch which have the same foot print i.e. 063 if you prefere but have larger capacities 52AHr with 5 years warranty. You could keep 1 battery at work on charge and 1 home and alternate there and back. This will keep the weight down as well. You just need 2 chargers.

Lance

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 1
« Reply #2 on: 15, April, 2012 - 19:54:29 »
You should factor in the weight of the batteries, I noticed a real difference in hill performance and pedal power whilst having two.  They were configured for swap when empty, but it still made all the differance.  I only carry one now.

Another point to consider is chassis strain, as daft as it sounds you can bend a chassis going over a small pot hole that you did not see.

Let us know what you decide to do and your experiances.

Karl

« Reply #3 on: 15, April, 2012 - 21:38:31 »
If you read through the unofficial handbook I'm sure there is a section in there that explains having two batteries connected as per the official Sinclair twin battery model (12v , not 24v) gives you a greater range than if you ran each battery individually until spent.

Personally, my preference is for cheap car batteries .I accept the damage being caused to them by over discharging and expect to bin them after 3years but I've also found they seem to last just as long as the more expensive and heavier leisure batteries.