News:

Welcome to C5alive, the best place for help & advice on how to get the most from your iconic Sinclair C5. Check the meetings section today for events near you.
C5alive.co.uk  - Keeping the C5 Alive !!

Author Topic: bluebirds new chassis and 24v wiring  (Read 5280 times)

Offline scott

• Battery level: 8
bluebirds new chassis and 24v wiring
« on: 23, April, 2011 - 21:29:55 »

hi all, here's some photos of bluebirds new chassis and 24 volt wiring  the wires look like a bundled mess but until the shell is on i cant fit the control box, i will post some more pics when its complete in a few days

Karl

Re: bluebirds new chassis and 24v wiring
« Reply #1 on: 24, April, 2011 - 19:36:32 »
Nice chassis there mate  ;)

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #2 on: 24, April, 2011 - 19:52:28 »
Now lets see what we can do with the old one  :)

Offline scott

• Battery level: 8
« Reply #3 on: 24, April, 2011 - 20:06:21 »
Thanks Karl,   let's hope the old ones repairable so it can benefit someone else, I've nearly finished it today the motor/ air horn /fan/throttle and 24v LCD monitor all work  but the lights don't work? I may have connected the light switch wrong will check later and will post some puzzles for everyone ::)

Karl

« Reply #4 on: 24, April, 2011 - 20:08:47 »
You're making good progress there mate  8)

ScubaChris

« Reply #5 on: 27, April, 2011 - 11:32:02 »
So am I right in guessing that the standard 12v motor will happily run on 24v? I assume the control box/pod wouldn't though?  ???

C.

Karl

« Reply #6 on: 27, April, 2011 - 12:00:45 »
So am I right in guessing that the standard 12v motor will happily run on 24v? I assume the control box/pod wouldn't though?  ???

C.

The Adam Harper 24v "turbo" conversion did manage to use the standard Pod (and I think it kept the control box ?) but was not cheap , around £500 ? A cheaper version was offered by the previous owners of c5alive that did not use the standard control box or pod.

Although the motors seem to cope well ,both 24v conversions suffered from the same snag - the standard gearbox cannot cope. Adam upgraded the gearbox by fitting metal cogs and strengthening the internals but even this wasn't strong enough to cope. Take a browse through the following links;

http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1524.0

http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=967.0

http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1261.0

In short, upgrading the power will cause problems somewhere. Once the "transmission" problems are overcome you then have to look at improving the brakes etc etc. The Dragon technology gearbox copes very well, but then we found the resin in the Sinclair motor started to let go of the magnets, so we're looking at alternative motors.

Experimenting like this is all good fun and is what my C5 "Voodoo" was built for , it has been the test bed for all the various motor/gearbox combo's we've tried so far and this still continues today...   

Offline fezza_rs

• Battery level: 4
« Reply #7 on: 27, April, 2011 - 13:14:18 »
The Dragon technology gearbox copes very well, but then we found the resin in the Sinclair motor started to let go of the magnets, so we're looking at alternative motors

Bosch 750w? similar in size to the c5 motor and same rpm?

ScubaChris

« Reply #8 on: 27, April, 2011 - 13:57:30 »
I see what you mean Karl but you're right, it's fun to experiment and overcome these problems.

I'm wondering if these 24v conversions had a proportional twist-grip power control or an on/off switch like the original. Seems to me the on/off power switch puts a load of strain on the drive components so any 24v system would be far better with a twist 'throttle' allowing you to ease the power up from a standstill.

Even my 10 year old daughter's electric scooter has 24v electrics and a twist grip!  Wonder if I could butcher some components from it... :D

C.

ScubaChris

« Reply #9 on: 27, April, 2011 - 14:03:57 »
The Dragon technology gearbox copes very well, but then we found the resin in the Sinclair motor started to let go of the magnets, so we're looking at alternative motors

Bosch 750w? similar in size to the c5 motor and same rpm?

Is this the one you mean?: http://www.boschmotorsandcontrols.co.uk/elektromotoren/produkt/0130302001/index.htm

C.

Jonny

« Reply #10 on: 27, April, 2011 - 16:14:16 »
they won't give as much power as the c5  motor on 24v as the c5 motor will be 100% overvolted it will be producing 4x the power as on 12v. i contemplated shoving in a bosch 400w motor and putting it on 24 to give 1.6kw.

i'm after a pair of bosch 750's at the moment, where do you buy yours karl? i've been quoted £216 posted for a pair from ellis components but don't really want to shell out that much