News:

"You Tube" footage of the C5alive meetings
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=303.0

Author Topic: Hello from Italy !  (Read 2711 times)

alexbromo

Hello from Italy !
« on: 19, May, 2010 - 08:15:40 »
Hi all.

When i was 20 i was a Sinclair fan, and an enthusiast of Sinclair Spectrum computer, that i owned (and few years later the IT become my employment). I had seen the C5 only in the magazines from UK: C5 was not imported in Italy, also due impossibility to cathegorize this kind of vehicle in our legal code.

Some days ago, during the emptying of a country home of a friend i've found under a stack of garbage, this C5:

a bit dirty but almost complete.  :o

It was bougth in UK and transported in Italy by parent of my friend ad used only for some hundred of meters.

My friend told me that before the long storage the C5 worked fine, and in an envelope there are also the original keys and the manuals.

I would want begin a light restoration, just to understand if it possible to put it in the road again (in a private area, because here in Italy is absolutely not legal to drive this vehicle)  :-[.

I hope you have the patience to support my questions ...

::)

Alex Bromo
« Last Edit: 19, May, 2010 - 16:25:26 by alexbromo »

Karl

Re: Hello from Italy !
« Reply #1 on: 19, May, 2010 - 11:08:13 »
Welcome to the c5alive forum mate.

That looks like a good find there Alex.

Mostly complete and not too bad - the chassis seems to have survived quite well with minimum corrosion, must be the better quality air over there  8)

Once the body twist is sorted and its had a good clean you'll hardly recognise it  ;)

alexbromo

« Reply #2 on: 19, May, 2010 - 16:32:26 »
Thank you BooBoo.

As you told, now is imperative a robust wash  ;D then i will try to repair the body twist (hot air gun ?) and i will try to find an adequate set of new tires.

I have no clear ideas about the battery (type, model, capacity etc ...), and tires too because it seems hard to find that measures at the standard car/bykes tires shop.

I will post some questions (and some other pictures) at the technical forum to experts, nexty days ...  :)

Alex Bromo

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
« Reply #3 on: 19, May, 2010 - 19:54:59 »
Hi there welcome to the forum ..Any help you want just ask ...
 Also for information try WWW.C5ALIVE.CO.UK  and look up the downloads ...bye Chas

Offline MikeDX

• Battery level: 1
« Reply #4 on: 19, May, 2010 - 21:56:30 »
Hi Alex

Welcome aboard, you will find a great bunch of people on here.

Looks like you have quite a complete C5 there!

Having just stripped down and rebuilt my first C5, I would whole heartily recommend it! There's plenty of us on here to ask when you get stuck, and it's a lot of fun to do!

Karl

« Reply #5 on: 19, May, 2010 - 22:26:21 »
Thank you BooBoo.

As you told, now is imperative a robust wash  ;D then i will try to repair the body twist (hot air gun ?) and i will try to find an adequate set of new tires.

I have no clear ideas about the battery (type, model, capacity etc ...), and tires too because it seems hard to find that measures at the standard car/bykes tires shop.

I will post some questions (and some other pictures) at the technical forum to experts, nexty days ...  :)

Alex Bromo

For cleaning;
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=335.0
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=501.0

I use Cif bathroom cleaner and a cut down paintbrush or oversized "nail brush", others use "traffic Film Remover"

Before using the hotgun, for the body shell twist cut a length of wood and wedge it between the floor and the legshield and leave it out in direct sunlight. It might cure it.

For tyres;
http://www.c5alive.co.uk/ecommerce/index.php?cPath=3&osCsid=9b5c83f28bb3e111e865dd53300137d0

I am out of front tyres at the moment but expect a new batch in soon (8-10 days ?). I do post to Europe  ;)

Take a look through the Campos link and some of the other restoration topics - some useful info in there that should save you some time and effort.

Good luck  8)

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #6 on: 20, May, 2010 - 07:16:16 »
Hello from Italy, looks like the C5 has had a bit of hard life, but its all there and the frame etc looks in great condition, I think it should clean up nice, enjoy getting it looking nice again.

Retro Andy.

alexbromo

« Reply #7 on: 20, May, 2010 - 07:42:39 »
Thanks all for welcome and suggestions !  :)

Saturday morning i'll do some work on the toy and i will take some other pictures ...

Alex Bromo