News:

C5alive meets Chris Barrie
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=417.0

Author Topic: J'ai un C5!!!!  (Read 41743 times)

Karl

Re: J'ai un C5!!!!
« Reply #15 on: 23, April, 2009 - 08:58:03 »
..there should be a chain tensioner, a small arm with a spring and a cog on the end

http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=310.0

If not, Adam Harper still sells them.

Although a C5 can still be peddled without one , you will suffer chain slip when trying to get up hills etc.

Don't try to overtighten the chain without one as you risk bending the hollow rear axle.

Offline minimin

• Battery level: 0
« Reply #16 on: 23, April, 2009 - 17:37:51 »
..there should be a chain tensioner, a small arm with a spring and a cog on the end

http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=310.0

If not, Adam Harper still sells them.

Although a C5 can still be peddled without one , you will suffer chain slip when trying to get up hills etc.

Don't try to overtighten the chain without one as you risk bending the hollow rear axle.

Ahh! So thats what that is It was sitting in the box. I'll try and find the installation instructions. Next thing. How do you fill screw holes or and really big scuffs in the hubcaps? Some holes have been drilled in random places, and they need to be filled!
Thanks
Mark

Karl

« Reply #17 on: 23, April, 2009 - 18:39:25 »
I've never had to plug any holes in a set of hubcaps before, so I'm not in a position to advise. It could be that you're going to be the first to try  ;D (that I know of). I'd be tempted to take a look at what's available in the bodywork repair section of your local Halfords type place.

It might also be worth having a word with some of those guys that repair car trim or motorcycle panels , they must be pretty good with all types of plastic .

Let us know how you get on  8)

Offline minimin

« Reply #18 on: 23, April, 2009 - 21:48:27 »
I've never had to plug any holes in a set of hubcaps before, so I'm not in a position to advise. It could be that you're going to be the first to try  ;D (that I know of). I'd be tempted to take a look at what's available in the bodywork repair section of your local Halfords type place.

It might also be worth having a word with some of those guys that repair car trim or motorcycle panels , they must be pretty good with all types of plastic .

Let us know how you get on  8)

Good thinking! Will do that tomorrow. On the tensioner, my chain is really tense, it is a motorcycle chain, but it is too tense (i think) because it rattles away as it hits the bottom. From your picture it looks to have a big droop in the middle, so what I was thinking was when I get the white bit off, then I'll be able to put the tensioner downwards so the chain goes down the middle?

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 1
« Reply #19 on: 24, April, 2009 - 09:26:46 »
Hi Mark,

Do you mean when the tensioner is on the chain - it makes the chain too tight ? as the spring should only take up the slack.

It might be that the chain you have is just a little to loose but not long enough if you know what I mean.

I have ordered a brand chain (and horn)  8).  I think that will sort all my problems out.

I would not mod the C5 to fit the chain, I would put some links in the chain to fit the C5 or buy a chain.  As karl has said the rear axel is hollow and can bend under stress if the chain is to tight. Not worth the risk IMO.

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #20 on: 24, April, 2009 - 10:33:37 »
Are you playing tennis ?

Retro Andy.

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: 24, April, 2009 - 11:24:58 »
Are you playing tennis ?

Retro Andy.

Eh ?

who ?

Offline minimin

« Reply #22 on: 24, April, 2009 - 16:36:03 »
Hi Mark,

Do you mean when the tensioner is on the chain - it makes the chain too tight ? as the spring should only take up the slack.

It might be that the chain you have is just a little to loose but not long enough if you know what I mean.

I have ordered a brand chain (and horn)  8).  I think that will sort all my problems out.

I would not mod the C5 to fit the chain, I would put some links in the chain to fit the C5 or buy a chain.  As karl has said the rear axel is hollow and can bend under stress if the chain is to tight. Not worth the risk IMO.

My tensioner came with the C5 off, as the seller said it wasn't needed, so I don't have the spring. What I was planning on doing is cabletying the tensioner to the underside of the C5 and then letting the chain run through the middle, because there is a big enough gap.
Mark

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: 24, April, 2009 - 16:57:16 »
I see,

If I were you and this is just my own opinion, I would buy and fit the chain tensioner. I tried to cable tie my spring tight and the weight of the chain snapped it in a week.

Your c5 will be worth more if kept original too. 

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #24 on: 24, April, 2009 - 17:58:35 »
Sorry i was reffering to the chain question going back and forth. ;D

Retro Andy.

Offline minimin

« Reply #25 on: 24, April, 2009 - 20:31:11 »
Thanks. I need to take the white part off the C5. I've been to Halfords and spoke to a guy who owned a C5. He gave me the wrong tool to remove the pedals! It doesn't fit!!!!!!!!!!   >:( >:( >:( >:( Does anyone have a link for one or the size of the nut which I need to undo (connecting the C5 to the pedal arms). Also, does anyone have an original wiring loom available? Thanks
Mark

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: 24, April, 2009 - 20:40:19 »
So now your trying to remove the body ?

Offline minimin

« Reply #27 on: 24, April, 2009 - 21:12:19 »
So now your trying to remove the body ?

Yes. ;D The chassis is really mucky and the top has rust on it. The bottom seems OK. I will need to completely re-wire it, the loom has been cut and the seller has given me some plain white wire, which I don't think will suffice.
Also on my to-do list it.....
-Pod Does it work?
-Control Box Why is all the wires cut, does it have fuses and does anyone have a cover?
-Battery
-Hammerite the chassis
-WASH IT DOWN!!!!  8)
-Fix the boot

Mark

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: 24, April, 2009 - 22:39:06 »
Man that sounds like a proper Restoration job.  I cant help you any more m8. Some of the parts like a wiring loom and controller cover are going to be really hard to get.

But I can answer some of your Q's

Yes the controller has fuses
Dunno why the wires were cut

Can I ask - how much did you pay for this ?

Offline minimin

« Reply #29 on: 24, April, 2009 - 23:25:41 »
Man that sounds like a proper Restoration job.  I cant help you any more m8. Some of the parts like a wiring loom and controller cover are going to be really hard to get.

But I can answer some of your Q's

Yes the controller has fuses
Dunno why the wires were cut

Can I ask - how much did you pay for this ?

No! ;D I bought it for £120, but it came with
-Charger (Modified for new batteries, but looks dangerous, only has one crocodile clip!)
-Tonneau
-Side Panels
-Wet Weather Coat
-Motor (not installed)
-Halfords Battery
Most importantly A tub of Hammerite!!!

But the guy did say they had all been serviced by Adam Harper, however, he has no record of what he has  serviced or hasn't. =[