News:

"You Tube" footage of the C5alive meetings
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=303.0

Author Topic: Hi folks  (Read 2690 times)

chris_guest

Hi folks
« on: 11, April, 2009 - 21:52:34 »
Hi,

I've just started looking round for a c5 to play with and stumbled across this place. 

I've even been considering using a c5 to go to work in every day, do any of you guys use yours to commute in?  My workplace is about 4 miles away, slightly uphill most of the way, would this be too hard for the poor little c5 to handle?

Chris

Karl

Re: Hi folks
« Reply #1 on: 11, April, 2009 - 22:44:11 »
Hi Chris & welcome to "c5alive"

If you do decide to use a C5 to commute to work you won't be alone, I think a few others on here have tried it (retro Andy, Umpa & Paul Bunce spring to mind).

Although the C5's are close to 25yrs old now, they are still quite capable of the journey you describe.

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #2 on: 12, April, 2009 - 12:16:38 »
Hi Chris its great to know someone else might be joining in the fun with us, I do use mine to go to work on sometimes, its about 1 and 1/2 miles to my work, i go home for lunch and back again. I have been using mine for about a year now and the problem i have had is replaccing the chain, so not bad for nearly 25 years old. The best advise i would give anyone is once you get a c5 strip it down, clean it all up, paint or powder coat frame and replace bearings, tyres and bits and pieces as required, get Martin to give the electrics and once over and fit a c5 alive wiring kit fit some new decals ( see Andy's project ) and join in some runs aswell, hope to see you soon.

Retro Andy.   

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 1
« Reply #3 on: 15, April, 2009 - 10:22:14 »
Hi Chris,

I go to work on mine, its all uphill for me, so I do have to pedal a bit (but its easier than a bike). I do 3.6m there and 3.6m back and takes me between 15 and twenty Min's depending on whether I have to stop for lights & cars etc.

I charge the battery every night with a Halfords Advanced charger, even if the pod says its half full, because what its really saying is its half power - lol. Being a bit over weight and lazy as a cat, I like full power - lol.

One of the best investments you could make is the Leisure Battery Wire Kit, it stops you from blowing the thing up if you cross wire it and lets you use pretty much any battery you like.

On the whole car drivers are good to C5'ers and have not had any problems at all. The wife makes me wear a silly fluorescent jacket when I'm working the night shift - but despite what ppl may say the C5 glows in the car headlights and is easy to see.

I did get a bit of flac from some of the guys at work, but when I asked them if they had ever been in one, they soon backed down.

Whatever you get the kind ppl on here will look after you.

Regards

Ian

Offline MikeDX

• Battery level: 1
« Reply #4 on: 15, April, 2009 - 12:44:52 »
It's great to hear people use their C5s to commute in. I don't think I would commute in mine, its over 20 miles! However I am hoping that I can put it in the car and use it to zip around the lake at lunchtimes! Be interesting to see how that goes, it's quite an up/down run.