News:

C5 Alive attending the following event
Easter Sunday 20th April 2014 - Sandwich Gears of Change Motor Show - Kent
http://classicmusicandmotors.co.uk/flv_portfolio/motor-shows/

Author Topic: Gearbox removal  (Read 3400 times)

Karl

Gearbox removal
« on: 01, July, 2010 - 18:06:22 »
Looking at my c5alive email queries, gearbox removal is always a favourite question.So a link to this topic will be used  to make my reply faster (and easier  :))

Having first removed the combined motor & gearbox assembly from the c5, I gently lift the "fingers" using a screwdriver and insert cable ties  on their side to keep the fingers raised;

I then grab my pliers/grips and pull the gearbox away from the motor. You must be careful here and pull in a straight line - otherwise you risk damaging the gearbox housing;

The gearbox cogs just lift off the end of the armature.

To further dismantle the assembly, remove the two bolts that secure the fingers to the motor housing ( please note - they are still in place in the photo !) ,and then slide a mallet/hammer along the motor body to ease the fingers off;

Dismantling the Motor assembly is covered in another topic;
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=368.0

I'm not saying this is the only, or even the best, method to do this - but it works for me. Hope the info helps  ;)

« Last Edit: 01, July, 2010 - 18:10:03 by BooBoo »

Offline PLOD11

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 11
  • Trust No one !
Re: Gearbox removal
« Reply #1 on: 12, July, 2010 - 03:13:33 »
I use small nails ...

Then Pull off with pliers

Just another way of doing it .......    ;)

Karl

« Reply #2 on: 12, July, 2010 - 09:33:28 »
I've also heard of someone using a large jubilee clip and winding it out (as opposed to tightening it) not tried that myself yet. :-\

Although all these methods work, it would still be cool to get hold of the genuine Sinclair tool made for the job - just like the one Adam has  8)

Offline PLOD11

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 11
  • Trust No one !
« Reply #3 on: 12, July, 2010 - 13:14:45 »
Blimey...

I didn't know they did one, bit of a collectors item i would think.

There is always ways around these things but sometimes it is nice to have the right tools for the job. I have a Raleigh Chopper MK2 and to remove the stand from that is just as bad, but with the right tool it takes seconds, rather that hours and a few scraped knuckles.

John