C5 Help > TECH TIPS from C5Martin

Handle bar stem removal

(1/3) > >>

c5martin:
Undo Bolt on top of handlebars - dont undo entirely (if it does come off entirely re-attach with a couple of turns)
Take a non marking rubber hammer and tap on the stem to release the conical wedge
Undo Stem bolt fully
Retract Stem bolt
Collect Conical wedge from floor under the body

If it wont budge - lay C5 on its side - attach the stem bolt to wedge from the underside and screw in stem and then use stem to pull the wedge out.

Remove handlebar from C5 by pulling whilst twisting from above.

Karl:
In addition, check this link for the "hold and twist" method - may help with stubborn stems  ;D

http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=626.0

Karl:
Note: ensure all the bolts and fittings are removed as in c5martins first post BEFORE trying this !  This is in addition to Martins advice and assumes you have already completed those steps..

Some times the "hold and twist" method will not work, if the handle bar stem is seized then you may end up damaging the steering rod plate at the bottom.

When more brute force is required, I find this method works;

I use two socket set extension bars as a "drift" to hammer out the handle bar stem from underneath.   

It's easier to do this if you place the c5 upside down - a "Black & Decker" workmate is ideal .

Having tried other methods with varying levels of success I find this way has worked without causing any chassis damage or any other snags on four handlebar stems so far - including a couple that were really rusted in. It's my preferred method for now until I discover an easier way  ;D

coverman:
For stubborn stems, why not soak the offending area overnight in Coca-Cola.?

Umpa:
I like a good soaking in vodka :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version