News:

C5 Alive attending the following event
Easter Sunday 20th April 2014 - Sandwich Gears of Change Motor Show - Kent
http://classicmusicandmotors.co.uk/flv_portfolio/motor-shows/

Author Topic: Motor stopped - UPDATE! now fully operational!  (Read 6019 times)

James Foster

Motor stopped - UPDATE! now fully operational!
« on: 19, August, 2009 - 08:30:17 »
Imagine the delight at reconnecting the control box and pod, getting the lights to come on then pressing the accelerator switch and getting the motor to run. This happened last night. I managed to get the thing moving, all seemed ok, no horrible noises, the motor buzzing along as it should. Then I got out, tried the accelerator again and nothing happened.

Did check the control box as someone had a similar problem on this board and found the wires charred and the circuit board burnt through 'arching'. However all seems okay with no burning. Battery cond lights are fully lit and the fuses are intact.

Motor load lights show the two yellow lights at either end lit which I presume is normal. When I press the red button however, only the first green light comes on and I hear a click of the connector switch in the control box operating, but the motor doesn't operate. I presume this means that not enough power is getting to the motor. What could be the problem/solution?? ???
« Last Edit: 27, September, 2009 - 19:13:47 by James Foster »

Karl

Re: Motor stopped
« Reply #1 on: 19, August, 2009 - 18:30:16 »
Thats gotta be a tad frustrating.

Charred wires and burnt cicuit board dont sound too good  :-[

Have you tried directly connecting the motor to check both it ,and the gearbox, still run ok.

It sounds like the pod is doing its job, so I'd be tempted to concentrate on the control box when looking for the fault.

You could give c5martin a call/drop him an email and see if he can offer any advice ?

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 1
« Reply #2 on: 19, August, 2009 - 21:27:36 »
I think This can happen if the brushes arnt making contact. I would take a look at them. 

Karl

« Reply #3 on: 20, August, 2009 - 12:32:46 »
I've re-read this, I thought it was your control box that is charred & damaged - but I've just noticed you said it was ok ....night shifts must be getting to me...

If your pod and box are fine then as Umpa says, you need to methodically check all the ares that could stop the power getting to the motor.

Brushes are a good starting point.

C5-Ben

« Reply #4 on: 20, August, 2009 - 21:25:01 »
Btw:
How long can these motor brushed be used?
Have someone experience how much km's before their gone?

Karl

« Reply #5 on: 21, August, 2009 - 14:01:55 »
Btw:
How long can these motor brushed be used?
Have someone experience how much km's before their gone?

I have no details on how long they could, or should, last. Like a lot of things, much depends on how the rider has used/abused the vehicle.

A visual inspection and "best guess" on their condition seems to be the answer  :)

As long as they make good contact and spring in/out okay they seem to last forever.

automino

« Reply #6 on: 22, August, 2009 - 23:33:14 »
Simply a control box fault this...Could take a look at it for you for a small fee and parts?

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: 23, August, 2009 - 08:50:38 »
perhaps - perhaps not ! - mine has gone click before with no power to motor - my control box was just fine.

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #8 on: 24, August, 2009 - 06:52:22 »
Mine done a similar thing on its first trip out, all was well for about 1/2 a mile then nothing, I sent the contrl box and pod to C5 Martin who found some faults and repaired them.

Retro Andy

James Foster

Re: Motor now working
« Reply #9 on: 22, September, 2009 - 14:50:21 »
Further to my last post, and thanks to C5 Martin, I have now got the C5 fully operational and it provided a number of curious neighbours a quick thrill in the driveway.

A few observations I would also share which I wondered if they were normal:

- the motor runs a red light initially and then will alternate between yellow and green on an easy level road during acceleration - I heard that the motor doesn't even like gentle slopes for very long
- the belt moves a little away from the edge of the gear cog - about 2-2.5mm. It doesn't come off during driving, though
- the plastic 'cuff' or mounting which holds the motor does not fit around it as well as it did before I took it off - there is a 1.5mm gap between the top and bottom where the cuff ends meet. This may account for the slight belt slippage?

Karl

« Reply #10 on: 22, September, 2009 - 17:25:15 »
The red light is telling you that the motor loading is such that you need to peddle. To avoid damaging your drivebelt etc , it's always best to peddle at first then engage the motor while you are on the move.

The belt slippage can be cured by rotating the motor, it usually sits with the flat spot/heat sensor attached at the lowest point.

Be careful not to overtighten the 10mm bolt that fits through the "cuff", you can damage the surrounding plastic. Try shifting the motor sideways ,or rotating it, to see if you've got the tightness correct.

Don't forget to make sure the gearbox end sits on the "wall" part, most people have a mod bracket or tie-wrap to keep it all in place.
« Last Edit: 22, September, 2009 - 17:27:36 by BooBoo »

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: 23, September, 2009 - 20:43:55 »
What was the cure for the motor ? was it the brushes or the control /box/pod ?

James Foster

« Reply #12 on: 24, September, 2009 - 19:46:08 »
It just needed a good clean up - the brushes especially

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: 25, September, 2009 - 06:09:00 »
Glad you sorted it, you can't beat that feeling of satisfaction.

James Foster

« Reply #14 on: 26, September, 2009 - 17:08:57 »
The only frustration at the moment is not being able to have a proper run in the thing. Where I live is a narrow and busy country road used as a rat run for the legions of 4x4's taking Tarquin and Emilia to the college during the week and therefore a bit hairy for a novice like me to be driving a 2ft high trike. So I am going to get up early tomorrow to have a blast up the lane.
Unfortunately I missed the Brooklands meet and will miss the Brighton run on the 25th as am in St Petersburg! No doubt I will come on a run in 2010.