News:

"I don't live in the past. I'm always excited by what I'm doing in the present." Sir Clive Sinclair

Author Topic: the eagle has landed (gearbox has arrived)  (Read 4172 times)

Offline scott

• Battery level: 8
the eagle has landed (gearbox has arrived)
« on: 13, February, 2009 - 10:05:18 »
hi everyone i have the gearbox back it has new metal gears to run along side the plastic casing and nylon motor gear, running the different materials together with lots of grease should cut out most of the friction what causes the gearbox to break, only testing will tell  if it dont work then we will try another option,

Offline fezza_rs

• Battery level: 4
Re: the eagle has landed (gearbox has arrived)
« Reply #1 on: 13, February, 2009 - 12:15:05 »
PICS!!!!!!!! WE WANT PICS!!!!!!!

c5martin

« Reply #2 on: 13, February, 2009 - 18:11:30 »
With the metal gears fitted you will find that they will damage the teeth in the outer casing.

The metal gears will still suffer from the heat problem which will cause the pins that the gears are on to get hot and melt the main cog assembly that they sit in.

That will be the end of your gearbox.

Heat is the killer of the plastic gearbox!

Karl

« Reply #3 on: 13, February, 2009 - 20:37:02 »
hi everyone i have the gearbox back it has new metal gears to run along side the plastic casing and nylon motor gear, running the different materials together with lots of grease should cut out most of the friction what causes the gearbox to break, only testing will tell  if it don't work then we will try another option,

That sounds similar to Adam Harper's version of a strengthened gearbox, sadly we destroyed one of those when experimenting on Jason Bradbury's maxed out C5.

Here's the link ;

http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=181.0

We were being discreet at the time, so Jason isn't mentioned in the thread. But the pictures are of the remains of two different gearboxes. Look closely at the thread on the inside of the brown casing, it shows where the metal gears have worn it away.

I hate to sound negative, but the conclusion we reached at the time was that the metal & plastic combination wasn't the way forward.

Having said that , it is always worth taking a look at what you have and seeing if it is an improvement on what we tested last year  ;)

Plus I am really impressed at what you've managed to achieve in such a really short time  8)

Offline scott

• Battery level: 8
« Reply #4 on: 13, February, 2009 - 21:27:05 »
cheers for the feedback karl  perhaps i will ask mike to try and make a complete unit out of metal,am at work tomorrow so i will take the gearbox with me ane pop it round to show u if u are in to see what u think. :-\

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 1
« Reply #5 on: 07, March, 2009 - 17:34:14 »
Well ?

whats the out come?

Karl

« Reply #6 on: 08, March, 2009 - 18:03:23 »
still in the developmental stages  :-X