News:

C5alive meets Chris Barrie
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=417.0

Author Topic: Lights work via control box, motor doesn't!  (Read 10178 times)

Markymark

Re: Lights work via control box, motor doesn't!
« Reply #15 on: 21, August, 2011 - 23:01:35 »
Thank you both very much for your comments and assistance, I'll try wiggling the red wiring harness and also (as I have a spare control box now!) try swapping the relay over tomorrow to see if that makes any difference - although of course the original one could be blown as well!

I wish it was as easy to work on as my old vw but I guess I should have expected it wouldn't be plain sailing when I bought it and noticed that as well as it having been converted to run the motor straight off the battery, a previous owner had seen fit to cover the fuses in tin foil!  I'm guessing that's when it subsequently blew some of the printed circuit wiring!

Thanks  :)

Offline PLOD11

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 11
  • Trust No one !
« Reply #16 on: 21, August, 2011 - 23:17:38 »
I dont think there is that much wrong with it, and you will soon have it up and running ...   ;D

Markymark

« Reply #17 on: 22, August, 2011 - 19:58:14 »
I swapped the relay for the one from the original control box (not bolting it's metal holder down, hoping that makes no difference!) and there's no change.  There's no clicking from it but it does send 12v to X12 and X13 when the go button is pressed.

I then retested the red motor lead and it does have a constant 12volts to it! I thought about this and came to the conclusion that if it has 12volts the only reason it wouldn't spin is if it had no earth? So I then wondered why the black negative lead for the motor was connected to X4 which tests show has 12volts + running through it.... So I put the black lead on X1 and the motor spins, regardless of the switch being pressed.  This has somehow got to be the root of my problems but I can't get my head around it.  Is the black lead from the negative side of the motor really meant to go on a 12v positive post (X4)!  Confused.com ::)

Offline Lancealot

• Battery level: 5
  • Owning C5s are a pleasure and hassle..............
« Reply #18 on: 22, August, 2011 - 20:10:01 »
Try these photos of wires connected to the correct locations, hope they help.

Lance

Offline PLOD11

• Millennium Member
  • Trust No one !
« Reply #19 on: 22, August, 2011 - 23:06:45 »
The leads on you pic are correct, it would seem that something has gone down and is not switching the relay, i am nights all this week, so not got to much time to have a good look at the circuit, but will have a look over it later (all being well) Marty may also have some thoughts on it.

Its going to be something silly i thinks  :-\

If you are about one evening this week i could pop in on my way to work and have a better look at it, not sure which night and it would be quick visit but may help to have a proper look at it.

John

Markymark

« Reply #20 on: 22, August, 2011 - 23:20:29 »
Thanks John, the help would be most welcome but I've moved out of Bedford into Blunham (since creating the profile details) so it maybe isn't anywhere near your route into work?!

If it is en route I'm in all the while in the evenings until the C5 is working!

Offline PLOD11

• Millennium Member
  • Trust No one !
« Reply #21 on: 22, August, 2011 - 23:40:00 »
That's probably better, i come down the A1 from Peterborough to London, i think Blunham is near Sandy / Black cat ?

Send  your address to my e mail and i will try and pop in on the way though one evening this week.

Had very quick look at the circuit and it could be down to something as simple as a diode .

I might have a working Control board you can borrow and then sort your one out at a later date.

John

« Last Edit: 23, August, 2011 - 00:07:01 by PLOD11 »

Markymark

« Reply #22 on: 23, August, 2011 - 07:11:16 »
Thank you very much John, I'm amazed by the help on this forum :) Email on it's way

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #23 on: 23, August, 2011 - 15:10:36 »
The X4 post is negative post for the motor and if you are finding +12v there I would suggest your diode D1 = 1N5401 has gone short circuit and this is your issue - John if your popping over I have some spare diodes if you need them let me know bud. :) :) :)
« Last Edit: 23, August, 2011 - 18:10:54 by radiomarty »

Offline PLOD11

• Millennium Member
  • Trust No one !
« Reply #24 on: 23, August, 2011 - 19:16:12 »
Hi again...

No problem, got the E mail ok, can't make this evening, but tomorrow looks good around 7pm ish if thats ok.

I think i have some of those diodes here (Thanks Marty) ....  ;)

So hopefully thats it and all will be well  8)
John

Markymark

« Reply #25 on: 23, August, 2011 - 19:46:43 »
Thank you all very much for your help with this.  I've just had another few checks of things and discounted an issue with the leisure battery wiring (not that I ever doubted that!) by using some of the original setup, then tried re-seating the motor wires just in case.  I then turned my attention to the pod....

I removed the pod from the C5, took the cover off it, and saw that the prongs that you connect the red wire loom to from the back of the unit were actually extended through to the inside of the pod.  I connected the red loom to the inside of these prongs (the correct way round) and the motor now works when you press the go button!!!! So despite the outside prongs looking clean, they aren't as clean as the sections that come in through the inside of the pod box.  I'm gonna give them a wire brushing when I can get to the garage.  I can't believe it's working at last!  Well Happy, just a shame it's chucking it down outside so I can't go on a proper run with it :)

I would like to thank everyone who has suggested things to check and offered assistance.  I hope that I can gain a bit more knowledge and help a newbie out in the future.  This is easily the most helpful forum I have ever posted an issue on.   I think I would have given up before now without the help of you all, so thank you all very much!  Without wanting this to sound like an Oscar acceptance speech I'd finally like to thank you John for volunteering to visit the middle of nowhere to help get my c5 back on the road (or Route 51 Cycle track, as will be the case)!

Offline Lancealot

• Battery level: 5
  • Owning C5s are a pleasure and hassle..............
« Reply #26 on: 23, August, 2011 - 20:13:41 »
Nice one, try some emery paper this also helps. You can also run your soldering iron (with solder) up the pins as the top surface will be taken off. This will help with a contact with the red 10 pin plug pins and help stop corrosion again.

Lance

Karl

« Reply #27 on: 23, August, 2011 - 20:24:25 »
...I would like to thank everyone who has suggested things to check and offered assistance.  I hope that I can gain a bit more knowledge and help a newbie out in the future.  This is easily the most helpful forum I have ever posted an issue on.   I think I would have given up before now without the help of you all, so thank you all very much!  Without wanting this to sound like an Oscar acceptance speech I'd finally like to thank you John for volunteering to visit the middle of nowhere to help get my c5 back on the road (or Route 51 Cycle track, as will be the case)!

Glad you got there in the end mate - top effort from all concerned 8)

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #28 on: 23, August, 2011 - 20:51:08 »
Great news - enjoy your first run !!! :) :) :)

Offline PLOD11

• Millennium Member
  • Trust No one !
« Reply #29 on: 23, August, 2011 - 22:22:18 »
Brilliant mate, hope you can get along to one of the runs ...   8)

This forum is the best for everything C5, a great bunch all round and always glad to help out anyone in need..   ;)