News:

C5alive meets Chris Barrie
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=417.0

Author Topic: Offside Wheel Removal  (Read 3362 times)

Markymark

Offside Wheel Removal
« on: 21, February, 2012 - 22:13:11 »
Just wondering if anyone had any tips for removing the offside rear wheel.  I'm currently stripping down the C5 so it can have a proper tidy up (maybe even some soda blasting) but the right wheel has got me stumped.  I've got the proper C5 tool kit spanner and a socket set but nothing seems to budge either of the two nuts holding the wheel on!  All that happens is the axle/other wheel rotates, no matter how hard things are clamped.  I suppose the accumulation of 27 years of grot aren't helping but I've tried WD40 and still no go.  If anyone has any helpful ideas I'd appreciate them! Thanks.

Karl

Re: Offside Wheel Removal
« Reply #1 on: 21, February, 2012 - 22:38:03 »
If you still have all the wheels on then place the c5 on the ground and have a willing volunteer sit in the c5 while you undo the nut....just out of interest, it hasn't been welded on has it ?...that's something I've seen before !

The Sinclair toolkit is ok for short term use such as punctures etc, but stick with the socket set if you need to give the wheelnut a bit of welly.

Offline steve_1360

• Battery level: 2
« Reply #2 on: 22, February, 2012 - 19:41:07 »
Not sure how much you know about bikes or C5's so i'll ask the simple question first.
I take it you are holding the inside nut (cone) steady and undo the outer nut? There should be clamped together to stop them coming undone.

Offline kamilb1998

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 7
    • Project XJ40
« Reply #3 on: 22, February, 2012 - 20:04:24 »
Not sure how much you know about bikes or C5's so i'll ask the simple question first.
I take it you are holding the inside nut (cone) steady and undo the outer nut? There should be clamped together to stop them coming undone.

You can either hold the inside cone steady and undo the outer lock nut but I don't believe this is compulsory and you can just undo the outer lock nut. When re-assembling you set the bearing just right with the inside cone and then hold that whilst doing up the outer lock nut which will keep your wheel on and the bearing setting set.

Maybe posting a picture of the nut could help?

Hope this helps,

Markymark

« Reply #4 on: 22, February, 2012 - 21:45:06 »

Thanks all, I was holding the inside nut steady with the c5 toolkit spanner and using the socket set on the outer nut, maye they are welded!  I'll try again at weekend and get photos.  Cheers  :)

Offline coverman

• Battery level: 4
« Reply #5 on: 23, February, 2012 - 13:27:37 »
Shock the socket.