News:

C5alive - The Premier Sinclair C5 website
https://www.c5alive.co.uk

Author Topic: Latest addition to the c5alive fleet  (Read 4191 times)

Karl

Latest addition to the c5alive fleet
« on: 29, January, 2011 - 22:13:15 »
After struggling to cope with all that recent snow, and having the "bus" out of service , I ventured onto Ebay and ended up with this ;

...should be able to tow my large trailer to all the c5alive meetings and events quite happily  ;D

Although it is a 4.0 v6 petrol engine  :o it does have the saving grace of running on LPG as well  8)

If you fancy one of these, I thoroughly recommend using these guys to work on it;

http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/explorerpartsuk/

« Last Edit: 29, January, 2011 - 23:07:13 by BooBoo »

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
Re: Latest addition to the c5alive fleet
« Reply #1 on: 30, January, 2011 - 07:39:32 »
That engine will never stop, built to last out petrol supplies  ;D bit of a beast Karl !

Retro Andy.

Karl

« Reply #2 on: 04, February, 2011 - 20:20:25 »
Enjoying the LPG at 75p a litre , but the local Fraud dealer is having a laugh - replacement key fob £60 , but programming it £216 !!  :o

No choice but to hand over the hard earnt readies as no-one else can sort it ???. The access code to the immobilser for this beastie has to come from the USA so its your local main dealer or go without. At least Dick Turpin wore a mask ! ::)

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
« Reply #3 on: 05, February, 2011 - 05:55:28 »
That does sound way over the top Karl, a replacement remote key for a Citroen are around £100, plus £20.00 if we get the transponder code from Citroen then we charge £50.00 to programme key, so normally if you have to code and key number tucked away in your vehicle's folder then the total price is £150.00 to supply and programme a new remote key.

Retro Andy.

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
« Reply #4 on: 05, February, 2011 - 06:04:13 »
Have you had the work done yet Karl ? I will happily call the local Ford dealer and get a price off them, and I know one of our technicians has a brother that works their, so could find out why the price is so high ?
We where a Chrysler dealership up to about four years ago and the keys was'nt that much ?

Retro Andy.

Karl

« Reply #5 on: 05, February, 2011 - 08:56:12 »
Thanks for the offer mate, but I've already got the fob & booked the car in for Tuesday so it can be done before we go to Rotterdam with it.

Offline mike7201

• Battery level: 0
    • Portland's very own Royal Manor Theatre
« Reply #6 on: 05, February, 2011 - 16:44:03 »
Hi Karl, I couldn't help but tell you about a similar experience.

I needed a replacement key for our Chevrolet Lacetti.  I was told that only the dealer would be able to cut a copy and reproduce the imobiliser fob embedded in the key.  So, I called the dealer, and sure enough, the price was similar to the one you quoted.  Even more if I wanted one which allowed me to remotely unlock the car!

Remote unlocking was a luxury I could do without.  I just wanted a key which would start the car.

So, I took it into my local Timpson key cutter shop.  They dropped the key into a scanning x-ray type box, and within a minute, the code for the imobilizer had been copied, and placed on a key with a chip inside.  Then, the key was cut to match my original. 

All for £50!

So...  I urge you to try them if you have one near by, and if you're able to get it done there, cancel your appointment! 

I should point out that it's only in the last few weeks that Timpson branches have been granted this technology.  So, not all shops will have these devices yet, but they're being rolled out across the country, so it's worth trying.

Offline mike7201

« Reply #7 on: 05, February, 2011 - 16:46:10 »
I meant to say that this is a fairly new service, which was once only available to vehicle owners who could only get their replacement keys from a dealer.  So, do check to see if they can do yours! 

If any dealer or other key cutting place laughs at you and tells you to go to your dealer, then chances are they're not familiar with this new equipment, but I assure you it's worth a go.

Mike

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
« Reply #8 on: 05, February, 2011 - 20:51:21 »
We know that some key cutting shops in town can duplicate keys, but that information we tend not to let out either, so I'm sure the Ford dealer whould'nt send you away if they think they have you by your short and curlies

Retro Andy.

Offline mike7201

« Reply #9 on: 05, February, 2011 - 21:28:46 »
Yes sorry about that mate, I think I worded my message poorly.  I was just trying to say that it's now possible for people to get replacement keys at a fraction of the price.  I wouldn't think that a dealer would laugh either, being that they're able to supply, and want the business.

However, to be fair to the dealer, it is only they as far as I know, who are able (at present) to arrange a suitable key with remote unlocking codes.  What's more, they're also properly shaped and and formed keys, rather than one with a chip stuck onto it tomake the car start.  But, if like you say are able to reduce the proce, I for one would sooner have a key meant for the car, but regretfully, I couldn't afford the Chevrolet price.

Definitely no dis-respect intended to dealers, or anyone associated with them.

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
« Reply #10 on: 06, February, 2011 - 08:33:05 »
No worries Mike, I was'nt having a pop at your comments I was in agreement with you that the Ford dealer possibly would'nt tell you to go elsewhere if you thought they are the only people that can programme the key.

Retro Andy.

Offline coverman

• Battery level: 4
« Reply #11 on: 07, February, 2011 - 09:26:52 »
 Get a temporary key made by Timpsons, then get try to get a proper Ford one at a reasonable price from a Ford dealer in the USA