News:

C5alive filming with "oldgoldtech.com" at Brooklands Museum - 13th November 2010
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1440.0

Author Topic: How can I remove motor brushes, bearings?  (Read 3240 times)

Offline Mannix007

• Battery level: 0
How can I remove motor brushes, bearings?
« on: 31, July, 2011 - 11:55:21 »
Hi!
I have some problems to get my second C5 back on the roads. First the engine stopped because one brush was broken. When I was looking for new brushes I found a cheap engine but without the bearings and the gear wheel on top. So I wanted to swap but the *pardon my French* doesn't move and there is no space (or I'm afraid) to use a puller (see picture):o :( ???
Now I got new brushes but I don't know how to change - is there a description anywhere? I use the search but didn't find it.

Thanks in advance,
 Mannix

Karl

Re: How can I remove motor brushes, bearings?
« Reply #1 on: 31, July, 2011 - 13:38:58 »
I think the plastic holders that keep the brushes in place are "once only" fitment as every time I've replaced the brushes they usually end up destroyed. It was just a case of brute force to remove them - the metal spring loaded brush components withdraw from the plastic with a lot of effort. Maybe someone has a better method ?

As for the small double set of bearings on the end of an armature a bearing puller was the only method that worked. A friend at a local autocentre did some for me. You are correct, you have to be careful as that end of the armature is prone to snapping quite easily (see the last picture on this link);
  http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=368.0
« Last Edit: 01, August, 2011 - 05:48:18 by BooBoo »

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #2 on: 31, July, 2011 - 21:52:47 »
You can remove the bearings with a small puller but as as been stated be careful they are on the weakest part of the shaft

Offline Mannix007

• Battery level: 0
« Reply #3 on: 31, July, 2011 - 22:09:32 »
Thanks You all, I decided to go the easier way and fixed the brushes - engine  is running (and tomorrow hopefully the C5)...
Cheers,
Mannix

joggaeco

« Reply #4 on: 21, October, 2011 - 02:11:10 »
Just had that job done, by a auto shop, rpelacement bush.  Only because I could not get a replacement insert.

They did it by leaving the plastic inserts in.  Inserting a new contact and soldering it to the existing contact, the spring had to be fidled in as well.

You can do it, its just fiddly.

Putting th motor back, I used castrol gear oil to lubricate the washer and it goes in striaght, and u just use a long nail to push the bush in from the rear one at a time...

I found the gearbox was squeeky, and had no cahnce of opeing and lubricating it, so just poured the gear oil on the front of thr motor, wiped the excess...mine works fine...hope this helps