News:

C5 Alive attending the following event
Easter Sunday 20th April 2014 - Sandwich Gears of Change Motor Show - Kent
http://classicmusicandmotors.co.uk/flv_portfolio/motor-shows/

Author Topic: The Dynasphere! Psychotic 1930s Vehicle! (Includes some footage at Brooklands)  (Read 6194 times)

Offline Lancealot

• Battery level: 5
  • Owning C5s are a pleasure and hassle..............
Well cool....................................

No problems parking it but what about reverse and no mirrors, indicators, radio, heater, etc.

:( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Lance
« Last Edit: 03, March, 2012 - 16:35:44 by Lancealot »

Offline thedesigntailor

• designer and C5 newbie
    • GLOW creative
Can't see why it can't have all the above - well maybe not heaters but motor bikes don't have them either.
Hardest thing would be a number plate.

Offline coverman

• Battery level: 4
Well it was a ridiculous idea for its time, as the sales figures prove . Apart from the fact that it was inherently unsafe on the road,didn't achieve its stated performance, and had serious engineering issues ie, fragile gearbox, electrics unprotected from reversing, what was good about it?

rafarestaura

Hi coverman, I tell you, really this invention don´t pass the prototype era. I´ve read several papers of Dr. Purves and there were many improvements designed for the vehicle, (closed cabin, a periscope system to improve visibility, better gearbox, etc) but this man didn´t have enough time (and money, I suposse  ::)) to develop. This vehicle wasn ´t really a road runner. Like hovercraft, another British invention, have in free and open lands its better place, beaches, dusty roads, fields, etc. It could overpass holes more than a quarter of the diameter of the wheel long and sands weren´t a problem. A funny development of somebody who dare to imagine an alternative to traditional ways to transport. I must give you the right if you say this invention isn´t the best solution, of course, but I love when people think and put their hands at work and create something, it´s part of the engineering history and have all of my respects  :D. I like crazy inventions, many times are the base of the scientifical research.

Thanks and regards, Rafael  ;)

Offline coverman

• Battery level: 4
The Dynasphere idea superceded by the hovercraftmakes sense, as that proved to be a very practical invention from the very first working machine.
There have been many impractical inventions over the centuries, but just because they involved thinking outside the box didn't make them all good ideas.

Offline thedesigntailor

• designer and C5 newbie
    • GLOW creative
I love when people think and put their hands at work and create something, it´s part of the engineering history and have all of my respects  :D. I like crazy inventions, many times are the base of the scientifical research.

Hear hear! I'm behind you all the way on that!  ;D

Offline peckishere

• Battery level: 3
    • peckishere's Twitter
I love when people think and put their hands at work and create something, it´s part of the engineering history and have all of my respects  :D. I like crazy inventions, many times are the base of the scientifical research.

Hear hear! I'm behind you all the way on that!  ;D

I second that!  ;D