News:

"You Tube" footage of the C5alive meetings
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=303.0

Author Topic: Positive and negative connection points  (Read 3435 times)

Offline mhurt

• Battery level: 3
  • 4 legs may be better than 2 but 3 wheels better then anything!
Positive and negative connection points
« on: 22, September, 2012 - 19:50:21 »
Just received my horn kit (the post office "lost it" in the delivery van for 5 days!) and realised the wiring on the c5 has been butchered at some point, and although I've connected everything as the instructions say, it doesn't work.

I can get access to the positive via an isolation switch that was fitted by the last owner, but where's the best place to wire a negative/ground to, so I can just direct wire the horn & switch in?

Cheers!

Offline KarlG

• Battery level: 8
  • You don't have to be mad to own a C5, but it helps
Re: Positive and negative connection points
« Reply #1 on: 07, October, 2012 - 21:55:59 »
Hi,

saw your post to the effect that you had fixed the horn problem, how did you achive this?

Cheers. KarlG.

Offline mhurt

« Reply #2 on: 08, October, 2012 - 09:13:22 »
Hi

The wiring had been cut and joined in multiple places, and replaced with bits of all colours, including from the CB itself.

I printed out the wiring diagram in your C5 cct thread and traced everything from the CB itself, worked out which wires were meant to be which colours, and connected it as it should be in the instructions (albeit to some very random wiring colours).

My C5 really needs the wiring stripping out and redoing, but it's not a job for a small back yard in the middle of a very wet autumn :D

I did find an accessible +12v and 0v though, via pins 3 and 5 of the pod loom connector - I've fixed my voltage meter to that now.

Hope that helps!

Offline KarlG

• Battery level: 8
  • You don't have to be mad to own a C5, but it helps
« Reply #3 on: 08, October, 2012 - 13:41:35 »
Hi,

the reason I asked is on my C5 there is a buch of wires hanging below the steering arm. One is brown/white and another is green /white both are for the horn, the br/wh is the supply to the horn button the gr/wh the return. The only problem is the gr/wh is not connected to ground. If you short the gr/wh to the bl/wh (both located behind the seat) together then you have a ground return (this short is correct for the C5).

I know how you feel as I have a similar problem with the wiring, but at least, in my case, no wires have been cut just removed.  :) Seeing that your wiring is in a mess this info may of no use to you, but if you get round to correcting it, then you have the info.  ;)

Offline mhurt

« Reply #4 on: 08, October, 2012 - 14:17:55 »
Sorry, I wasnt that clear :)

The two wires from the column just need connecting to the correct wires from the CB (via some connection block, which you get in the horn kit), and also a loop putting in, as per the instructions at http://www.sinclairc5.com/acc_inst/acc_inst_horn_page_1.htm

If, like my C5, the wiring has been butchered, you can see which wires should be which colour (and therefor connected to what bit) by using the diagram in the CCT thread.
Once you know which wires are which, it makes life a lot easier!