News:

C5alive - The Premier Sinclair C5 website
https://www.c5alive.co.uk

Author Topic: Control box resistor repair  (Read 8846 times)

sh0dan

Control box resistor repair
« on: 10, October, 2010 - 20:10:21 »
Hi,

Im afraid I've got a newbie question. I've been reading the forums and have now managed to get most of my newly acquired c5 working.

After following a fantastic post on your forums (http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=5ba11ebfd3ffd2af351bdabd14d76627&topic=1320.0) I have narrowed down problems with my Pod to the R1 resistor in the control box. The motor and lights are working but the pod appears dead. I can see voltage on one side of the resistor but not the other, and the paint in the centre of the resistor has fallen off.

Do you know if there is anywhere cheap near Watton (Norfolk) I can get the resistor replaced? Should I just take it to a local electician?

I also noticed that the lights dim when the motor is running. From other posts I assume that may or may not prove to be a second control box issue?

Im also missing one of the mirrors and someone has hacked all four (front and back) indicators off which means that the bit attaching the indicator to the c5 shell is broken on all four. Any idea where I might get replacements and an idea of cost?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm sure you get bored of giving the same answers! I did check past posts, promise.

Thanks

Mike

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
Re: Control box resistor repair
« Reply #1 on: 10, October, 2010 - 20:27:30 »
Hi the resistor you require is a 2.2 ohm resistor which should be easily sourced from any electronic stores or direct from maplin etc. Are you able to solder as tis is a fairly simple repair. If not I would be happy to sort this for you free of charge if you wish to cover the postage both ways.

The mirrors sometimes turn up on e-bay but I am afraid the indicators are sort after and cost anything from £70 to £160 odd ! Adam Harper holds supply's of all the parts but is currently taking sometime off but should be back soon. (we hope !)

Welcome to the forum and C5  world

Regards Radiomarty

Offline PLOD11

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 11
  • Trust No one !
« Reply #2 on: 10, October, 2010 - 20:30:14 »
Welcome to the forum ....

I was going to say exactly what Marty just said, strange thing is we were in that exact location today .......

If we had known we could have done that for you.
John

PLOD11
« Last Edit: 10, October, 2010 - 20:33:47 by PLOD11 »

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
« Reply #3 on: 10, October, 2010 - 20:43:24 »
HI there sh0dan welcome to the forum I don't think it will be long before you are back on the road ..There is a lot of knowledge and help on the site ..bye Chas

sh0dan

« Reply #4 on: 10, October, 2010 - 20:46:29 »
I saw the post, looks like it was great day for it! I only got mine yesterday, I would love to have joined you... even if I had to peddle! :)

Thats very good of you both to offer. Its only fair for me to pay something for your time as well as postage.

I'll private message you radiomarty.

sh0dan

« Reply #5 on: 10, October, 2010 - 20:47:53 »
Thanks. I think this is the most friendly forums I've ever used.

marcdonnelly

« Reply #6 on: 10, October, 2010 - 21:11:00 »
i have a set of wind mirrors for sale.

Offline PLOD11

• Millennium Member
  • Trust No one !
« Reply #7 on: 10, October, 2010 - 21:12:42 »
Do the WIND mirrors make you go faster  ;D

Karl

« Reply #8 on: 10, October, 2010 - 21:25:04 »
...Im also missing one of the mirrors and someone has hacked all four (front and back) indicators off which means that the bit attaching the indicator to the c5 shell is broken on all four. Any idea where I might get replacements and an idea of cost?

Thanks

Mike

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the c5alive forum mate, hopefully you'll find everything you need to help get your newly acquired c5 back on the road.

As the other guys have already mentioned, indicator sets do go for quite a premium - if you can find one.

The front indicators are essentially miniMetro side repeaters (slight colour difference), but the rears are unique to the c5 so difficult to source. Someone said they found Yamaha TZR indicators were similar but I've not tried this myself yet.

There is some useful info on this Ebay listing;
 http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Wing-indicator-Austin-Land-Rover-Metro-MG-Turbo-LDV-VP-/140463937829?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item20b44d9925

the light is used on all mk1 and mk2 Metro's some LDV vans, Land Rovers and Reliant 3 wheel cars like the Robin

...so you should be able to find some replacements for the fronts without too much trouble.

sh0dan

« Reply #9 on: 10, October, 2010 - 21:37:53 »
Thanks. I'll look at grabbing some metro ones for the front and glue the back ones. I need to find some bulbs for the back indicators as well but couldnt see any in the c5alive shop? They seem to be much larger than the bulb for the front ones.

marcdonnelly

« Reply #10 on: 10, October, 2010 - 22:14:11 »
spell check needed not really sure if wind mirrors are faster than wing mirrors but watch this space i will do a trial run ;D

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
« Reply #11 on: 11, October, 2010 - 09:11:50 »
Hi there if Karl hasn't got any in his shop try these on eBay item no 130438458440 bye Chas

Offline PLOD11

• Millennium Member
  • Trust No one !
« Reply #12 on: 11, October, 2010 - 10:49:16 »
If you still have the original rear indicator lens you can attach theses with a couple of self tapping screws through the body as an alternative if the original fixing have become damaged.

sh0dan

« Reply #13 on: 11, October, 2010 - 20:31:49 »
Thanks Chas, thats the ones! Ordered :)

I might try the screws, I had a thought and might try a cable tie first.

Thanks again

Mike

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #14 on: 13, October, 2010 - 16:52:32 »
Hi Mike - control box arrived safely today - repair carried out - will give it a road test tomorrow all being well.  :)
« Last Edit: 13, October, 2010 - 17:04:58 by radiomarty »