News:

"I don't live in the past. I'm always excited by what I'm doing in the present." Sir Clive Sinclair

Author Topic: Name that part!  (Read 3343 times)

Offline danny7147

• Battery level: 10
  • If at first you don't succeed... pay someone else.
    • Bikes To The Future
Name that part!
« on: 08, May, 2013 - 18:44:40 »
After a less than frantic bidding war I just won a C5 down in the sticks of Devon on FleeBay. I haven't collected it yet, but there's something puzzling me about it that I'm hoping some bright spark here will know the answer to!

In the description it says the old beast is a non runner... that doesn't suprise me, but in the one photo it has of the electrics is a strange blue box...

Any ideas what it could be? It looks like a total birds nest of wires in there so I'm less than enthusiastic about the restoration(!), but what's springing through my mind is the possibility that this is some kind of inverter/converter for a previously installed 24v kit. I may be totally wrong on that, but does anyone have any ideas?

Here are another couple of FleeBay shots of it:-

That bottom shot also shows some other bits that I have no clue quite what they are unless they're uninstalled aftermarket add ons! I'm also taking bets on the contents of the cellophane bag next to the adjustable spanner at the bottom  ;D

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
Re: Name that part!
« Reply #1 on: 08, May, 2013 - 19:32:48 »
HI there not sure what it is but if it is a 24volt one where is the throttle to control it .

Anyway I am very interested to know what it is ....

Offline danny7147

• Bikes To The Future
« Reply #2 on: 08, May, 2013 - 19:40:22 »
Good question Chas... without it in front of me I can't really answer many questions, but here are the other photos he uploaded and the description:-

SINCLAIR C5

HERE IS MY SINCLAIR C5 THAT I HAVE HAD STORED IN THE GARAGE FOR QUITE A FEW YEARS AS AN INTENDED PROJECT THAT NEVER GOT ROUND TO DOING

IT IS A NON RUNNER

THERE ARE QUITE A FEW PARTS WITH IT , NOT SURE IF THERE IS ANYTHING MISSING

THERE ARE A FEW SCRATCHES ON THE BODYWORK

Now I will let on that I won it for the vast sum of £104... that's why I'm not really concerned about what the electrics are like, but I'd sooner it was a restoration project than a spares donor  ::)

Offline rekooh99

• Battery level: 2
  • Feel the rhythm feel the rhyme its bobsleigh time
« Reply #3 on: 09, May, 2013 - 07:48:10 »
Danny just the parts must be worth twice that if it hadn t been so far away I might have beem interested myself.As for the blue box no idea , might be a homemade 24v conversion

Offline danny7147

• Bikes To The Future
« Reply #4 on: 09, May, 2013 - 08:52:44 »
There have been some selling for silly prices lately... A complete non runner in Exeter sold a couple of weeks ago for £95 that I missed out on, and we won a second one yesterday in Hampshire for £103! The second one is complete with front wheel moulding and centre caps, so I don't know how they're suddenly going so cheap!

Offline danny7147

• Bikes To The Future
« Reply #5 on: 02, June, 2013 - 19:17:21 »
Right, got her home today and it's a state. None of the wiring is connected, it's a MAJOR restoration project. Control box in bits, Pod currently not working, BUT... has all of the parts. The strange blue box that I was talking about isn't actually connected to anything, it was just loose in the boot. I'm certainly no electrics expert but here are a better photo...

As for what it is... I don't have a clue. It says on the back "Voltage Input 24V", but doesn't state an output, so inverter? I know it's not something I'll use but would certainly be curious to know what it is finally  ::)

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #6 on: 02, June, 2013 - 19:23:31 »
Hi Danny - I have a feeling it is a mobility scooter controller  ;D

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
« Reply #7 on: 02, June, 2013 - 19:27:01 »
In fact it is ! - It might also help towards the cost of restoration :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dynamic-DZ-70-3-CTM-Mobility-Scooter-Controller-/140975228451

Offline danny7147

• Bikes To The Future
« Reply #8 on: 02, June, 2013 - 19:34:15 »
My God...  ???

Well I've sent you an email detailing exactly what's wrong with the electrical side of the old beast so pending what you think of it (in terms of if it's worth salvation or cremation) I'll look into that a bit more! Is it anything that you could use? I have about as much use for a mobility scooter controller as I do a chocolate teapot  ::)

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
« Reply #9 on: 02, June, 2013 - 19:51:00 »
Replied to your e-mail - Marty :)