News:

C5alive filming with "oldgoldtech.com" at Brooklands Museum - 13th November 2010
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1440.0

Author Topic: Computer question  (Read 2707 times)

Karl

Computer question
« on: 25, January, 2012 - 15:58:14 »
Computer question for the tekkies out there....my broadband connection keeps dropping out, I tend to get about 30mins usage before the access is lost. When connection is lost, looking at the modem, the "ready" light is flashing instead of showing constant green light. Does this mean the modem is cream crackered ?

Powering it down and back on again has no effect , I just end up waiting for about 30mins and connection is randomly restored ...only for it to be lost about 45mins later...been going on since Christmas but getting much more frequent now so I've booked a visit from one of Virgin Media's finest.

Still quite frustrating though  >:(

Offline vanpeebles

• Battery level: 1
Re: Computer question
« Reply #1 on: 25, January, 2012 - 17:05:03 »
Have you tried a different phone cable and a different microfilter?

Karl

« Reply #2 on: 26, January, 2012 - 08:55:36 »
Have you tried a different phone cable and a different microfilter?

..to be honest I've got so frustrated with the poor reliability I've walked away before the sledge hammer comes out.....decided to best leave it to the Virgin Media guy to sort out  ;D

Offline thedesigntailor

• Battery level: 5
  • designer and C5 newbie
    • GLOW creative
« Reply #3 on: 26, January, 2012 - 10:37:00 »
Have you got more than one phone jack about your house in use? Is there a micro filter on each one.

BigglesBear

« Reply #4 on: 26, January, 2012 - 12:05:31 »
Had a similar problem a short while Ago and  the problem was  at the Telephone exchange..

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #5 on: 29, January, 2012 - 08:46:03 »
Are computer only seems to work in safe mode, just switched it on about four weeks ago and we get what my son calls "the blue screen of death" and when I switch it on it takes ages before the screen appears with the turn windows on option, but it will only work in this safe mode ?

Retro Andy. 

Karl

« Reply #6 on: 29, January, 2012 - 17:05:45 »
Our internet connection is now properly sorted  8)

The nice man from Virgin Media replaced a load of connections and cables both inside and outside the house before going off and fiddling with the exchange box thingy at the end of the road.

Been fine ever since  :)

Offline techytype

• Battery level: 0
« Reply #7 on: 29, January, 2012 - 21:24:55 »
Are computer only seems to work in safe mode, just switched it on about four weeks ago and we get what my son calls "the blue screen of death" and when I switch it on it takes ages before the screen appears with the turn windows on option, but it will only work in this safe mode ?

Retro Andy. 
Hi Andy,
when turning on keep tapping F8, after a short period you should see a screen giving the option to start from previous working setup. select and just follow it through.

hope it helps :)