News:

C5alive meets Chris Barrie
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=417.0

Author Topic: The Dynasphere! Psychotic 1930s Vehicle! (Includes some footage at Brooklands)  (Read 6193 times)

Offline peckishere

• Battery level: 3
    • peckishere's Twitter
Just stumbled across this on YouTube. Its a mono-wheel style vehicle that uses gravity to propel itself. The clip shows allot of the Brooklands race track in its heyday and also shows the test hill and home straight where allot of the c5 stands and events are held at Brooklands

http://youtu.be/rvA7hDh_vhY

Offline MikeDX

• Battery level: 1
Stunning.

Offline peckishere

• peckishere's Twitter
I just realized I shouldn't of listed this under the 'marketplace' :(

Offline coverman

• Battery level: 4
It would certainly be intersting in the rain, spraying water everywhere. How does it stop? Side impact , weven a gentle nudge would send it scurying off who know where. ??If it fell over it would probably crush the driver as he fell out unless harnessed in.

rafarestaura

Yes, it´s dangerous, but look at this modern version of Dynasphere, even more dangerous, is less wide than original and have more power so look what happen at 2:55  :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4YmVP6i4qw

I think the driver need a whole airbag  :P

Regards, Rafael

Karl

..although it is dangerous and pretty unstable , I love the fact the builder chose to give it a go and ended up with a running vehicle . The creativity and skill required are amazing...wonder what happened to the vehicles ?

The saddest part of the clip is seeing how much of Brooklands has been lost over the years ,  although I'm glad they've managed to  preserve as much as they have.

Offline peckishere

• peckishere's Twitter
The saddest part of the clip is seeing how much of Brooklands has been lost over the years ,  although I'm glad they've managed to  preserve as much as they have.

This is actually the main reason why I posted the video here. It gives a sense of what the place looked like before the war and before it was partly demolished to make way for housing and business estates. It makes you appreciate what little is left and I feel proud to take part in the c5 events there as it makes me feel like I'm keeping the Brooklands spirit going

rafarestaura

That´s my daily fight here, in Spain, the conservation of the heritage. Perhaps you can be sad thinking about how much objects dissapear in Brooklands or similar museums but you can´t imagine how much ones has been lost here in Spain and their Universities  :'(. I´m the author of the first catalog of pieces of Industrial heritage of the University of Granada, Spain in his history and I´ve could check in first person how bad is the situation here and I´ve had a lot of problems with the politicians of the University when I´ve tryed to change this situation and put this news on public eye, I miss my years of planes conservation at Duxford,  there people was worried about planes not in politic games all the day, at least not like here, objects are property of people to get knoweledgement of their history, not chess pieces to play politic games.

Well, this is too much serious for me, somebody wants to do a Dynasphere replica?  :) :), I like the original 1930´s design much more than the second one I´ve put the video before, it´s better designed and better calculated the moment of force when you brake than the second one, with the result you can see at the video, it don´t look complicated to make, I can design the plans and make one part everyone and put all the parts together in a C5 meeting or something similar, with electric and pedal power like C5, it´s a serious offer, really, perhaps Brooklands can have some interest on this project.

Regards, Rafael

Offline thedesigntailor

• Battery level: 5
  • designer and C5 newbie
    • GLOW creative
Rafael

I'd by the 1930s one - I wonder if it's street legal in the uk?

Offline kamilb1998

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 7
    • Project XJ40
Rafael

I'd by the 1930s one - I wonder if it's street legal in the uk?

I would buy the 1930s one. Commuting on that would be fun if it's road legal.

rafarestaura

The question is if the concept was registered and patented in Great Britain in 1930´s. If was registered then, there must be no problem in the making of a replica now. And if not, always can become in a perfect meeting vehicle for demostrations  8), I´m volunteer to drive it to Brooklands hill, but only uphill  ;D ;D, I have four little children waiting their father at home. Somebody can check if remains some blueprints over Brooklands library? I´ll try it from the distance.

Regards, Rafael

Offline thedesigntailor

• Battery level: 5
  • designer and C5 newbie
    • GLOW creative
Yep - after 50 years the patent becomes inactive and anyone can have a go

Offline coverman

• Battery level: 4
It was a stoooooooooooooooooopid idea

rafarestaura

Don´t be rude with me  ;), friend, it´s only a mind game with a substract of reality, and , perhaps, can be useful to recovery lost knoweledgements. For example, steam engines are overpassed by steam turbines but I´ve restored several steam trains in Spain to offer that piece of history to the people at the museums. This comments about Dynasphere are something like that. I think it´s a good thing people know the works of Dr. Purves, the designer of the Dynasphere and his relationship with Brooklands museum. And, also, I adore old nuts, bolts and tools  :D. If you mix all of this (and some money, of course) you almost have a replica or, at least, somebody has revival for a while a lost work.

Regards and thanks for the comment  :D, Rafael

Offline peckishere

• peckishere's Twitter
It was a stoooooooooooooooooopid idea

many people thaught / think the c5 was a stupid idea!