News:

C5alive filming with "oldgoldtech.com" at Brooklands Museum - 13th November 2010
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1440.0

Author Topic: Second Battery  (Read 3691 times)

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
Second Battery
« on: 07, August, 2010 - 07:51:41 »
Hi is anyone running with the second battery kit installed - I would like to know how Sinclair were wiring their battery's in parallel to increase range - read the Second battery leaflet but it does not show what their kit include or how they wired it - I know the control box has some inputs for this.

Offline plumber

• Battery level: 1
Re: Second Battery
« Reply #1 on: 07, August, 2010 - 09:50:04 »
hi there second battery....
its the same key switch but with out the thin brown wire......so you just wire it up like the other key switch.....they use to install a keyswitch holder in the area where the second battery is fitted......but if you use two batteries you must switch them both on together or it will charger the other battery when you switch it on...thats what adam harper told me....it does work well....ive got an old c5 twin battery model in my garden and that came from the factory like this..got stickers on it telling you must switch two batteries on together and remove the second key after switching on...
hope this helps

the plumber

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #2 on: 07, August, 2010 - 10:13:40 »
Thanks Plumber - is there any extra wiring go to the control box ie to the spare plug between the thermistor and thermal cut out connections of X6 ?

Offline plumber

• Battery level: 1
« Reply #3 on: 11, August, 2010 - 08:36:53 »
hi there just the blue and brown wire from the keyswitch...which you just double up on the same posts as the main key switch...the other thin brown wire and contact is removed on the second keyswich making it the auxiliary....but do leave the master keyswitch with the thin brown wire as this is for the lights and horn etc

many thanks the plumber

Karl

« Reply #4 on: 11, August, 2010 - 13:00:12 »
..connecting and using a 2nd battery for extra 12v range (as opposed to 24v for extra power) is officially a good idea.

The unofficial handbook has a section that covers this and says that you will get a greater range this way than if you were to use two batteries seperately.

One of life's mysteries as to why ! 

TOFFEEBOY

« Reply #5 on: 13, August, 2010 - 21:21:10 »
hi there just the blue and brown wire from the keyswitch...which you just double up on the same posts as the main key switch...the other thin brown wire and contact is removed on the second keyswich making it the auxiliary....but do leave the master keyswitch with the thin brown wire as this is for the lights and horn etc

many thanks the plumber

Hey Plumber!! I've decided to go down the two batteries route so will need some help with th re-wiring next timw we meet up!

giles

« Reply #6 on: 03, September, 2010 - 19:41:10 »
Hi Folks,
Is the second battery suitable for use with the leisure battery connectors?  I have read that you need (while using the key blocks) to turn each key on simultaneously for some reason or other.  Well there is little chance of me connecting each battery connector simultaneously!  So does that mean I can't run twin batteries if I switch to the leisire battery type blue and red connectors?

Cheers, Giles

Karl

« Reply #7 on: 03, September, 2010 - 19:52:47 »
C5martin had a twin battery set up using quick release connectors, so it can be done.

Can't remember how he did it though.

Offline techytype

• Battery level: 0
« Reply #8 on: 10, September, 2010 - 00:07:19 »
not heard of this before,

i can only think the 'danger' was with the old oriinal batteries, if one battery is heavily discharged it will suck power in from the more charged battery at a detrimental rate to cable an the charged batt.

but with car batteries we often jump start in effect the same way, so if one battery is flat the current draw from a fully charged sister battery would not be unhealthy to the wiring or the charged battery.

by not connecting simultaneously, it would have the same effect surely?

Alan