News:

"I don't live in the past. I'm always excited by what I'm doing in the present." Sir Clive Sinclair

Author Topic: Tensioner and general resto  (Read 7664 times)

Offline coverman

• Battery level: 4
Re: Tensioner and general resto
« Reply #15 on: 06, September, 2010 - 09:28:19 »
Suggest spinning rear wheel and applying brake afew times before adjusting;this may centre the shoes a bit.To adjust the brake, firstly loosen the outer cable adjustment lock nut, wind the adjuster into the threaded bracket so that the adjuster goes right  into the bracket as far as it will go,then  put a mole grip on the cable hard up by the actuating lever so that the cable cannot slip looser when the cable clamp is loosened, pull the cable tighter with the mole grip, tighten the clamp , spin the wheel listening for rubbing sounds, adjust the cable until you need a only a small brake handle movement to lock the spinning wheel, and yet no rubbing noise is heard with the wheel spinning and if left to spin it doesn't suddenly stop from only spinning slowly(ie it slows down to a stop progessively).

giles

« Reply #16 on: 08, September, 2010 - 21:37:45 »
I'm struggling with the adjustment of the brake.  Will anyone at Brooklands give me some coaching on it? It must be easier to explain around the item.  Unfortunatly I will only be able to bring on C5 with me so I wont be able to bring 'IT 01' with the dodgy rear brake.

It's so weird, if you apply the brake very gently you get nothing then suddenly and (seemedly) without any more pulling on the brake leaver it just locks up.....  undriveable, so must fix!

Cheers, Giles

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
« Reply #17 on: 09, September, 2010 - 07:21:08 »
Hi there Giles have you tried swapping round the wheels from one c5 to the other (brake wheels of cause ) bye Chas

giles

« Reply #18 on: 09, September, 2010 - 20:25:28 »
no, not tried a wheel swap.  I could give it a go.

but I did try and fail to adust the brake pull.  although i am not sure it's about adjustment as when they bite they bite instantly and very agresively.  Could it be that the brake shoes are the wrong way wround maybe the tapered edge should be the leading edge... not sure... very odd.

is there anyone in the club who has had a go at this problem and lives near Stratford Upon Avon?

Cheers, Giles

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #19 on: 10, September, 2010 - 10:02:51 »
I'm sure someone would be more than happy to help with this question on Sunday  :)

Retro Andy.

giles

« Reply #20 on: 17, September, 2010 - 19:06:36 »
Replacement 2nd hand set of shoes has done the trick.  Thanks guys.

giles

« Reply #21 on: 22, September, 2010 - 06:55:55 »
Now I need to adjust the handbrake correctly, it wont hold it on the slightest of inclines.
I have read the instructions in this thread but don't get it as yet.....

Is there any adjustment at the brake lever pull end?

If I pull the metal bar at the wheel end to a near vertical (pointing down) position then the brake is already on and the wheel doesn't spin.

If I get the wheel to spin freely without binding then the brake lever pulls down to the handle bars and I can't lock the wheel (ironic - understanding where this issue started  ::))

Any advice?

Cheers, Giles

Offline coverman

• Battery level: 4
« Reply #22 on: 22, September, 2010 - 09:17:31 »
Are you sure that you have the correct cables going to each brake? I speak as one who has connected the handbraked lever to the front brake! It seems to work.