News:

C5 Alive attending the following event
Easter Sunday 20th April 2014 - Sandwich Gears of Change Motor Show - Kent
http://classicmusicandmotors.co.uk/flv_portfolio/motor-shows/

Author Topic: Rear disc brake  (Read 3679 times)

Offline mhurt

• Battery level: 3
  • 4 legs may be better than 2 but 3 wheels better then anything!
Rear disc brake
« on: 23, August, 2012 - 15:46:43 »
With my C5, I'm more interested in usability and reliability than keeping it 100% original, and as the rear brakes aren't too hot, I'm considering fitting a disc brake.
What's the easiest method of doing this? I don't have welding equipment, nor have I ever attempted welding, so ideally I want something that doesn't require welding, and I have no idea about making collars etc anyway (but I might be able to buy a spare axel if I can find one for sale, just to have a go).
I've read every thread I can find, but none are that clear, and tend to just show the end result.

Is it possible to fit something to the right hand side rear wheel?
That said, I might end up looking for someone to do the welding etc, as there are a couple of other mods I wouldn't mind considering in the future.

Cheers!

Karl

Re: Rear disc brake
« Reply #1 on: 23, August, 2012 - 17:46:19 »
I think Chas is your man for that  8) Check out his 24v conversion topics for some ideas

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
« Reply #2 on: 23, August, 2012 - 17:54:25 »
Hi as Karl said I have done a few . Just doing one now on a 24 volt conversion for a friend ...

Offline mhurt

« Reply #3 on: 23, August, 2012 - 21:28:21 »
thanks for the replies. I have looked at every post on the subject I can find, including Chas's latest restoration project, but I'm still not much clearer.

Chas -is that collar that the brake hub is on welded to the axle? If not, how is it fixed on? Also, if you don't mind me asking, where did you get it ? As mentioned above, I've never welded, nor do I have access to the equipment, although if it comes to it, then I'd have to hire the kit and have a play with some scraps, but I'd much prefer not to, given the amount my hands shake :p

Sorry for bombarding you with questions, but I'm slowly getting there with the C5

I do like the aluminium base plate idea though, as it would make things much neater, and allow for more elegant modifications (I have an idea to use a small mobility scooter motor I have spare to help with hill starts eventually.)

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
« Reply #4 on: 24, August, 2012 - 08:32:27 »
Hi there the collar is made from aluminium  and is made bye a friend .Regarding on how it is fixed on to the  axle when it is in the correct position  is drilled and a pin is inserted ...No need for any welding... 

Offline mhurt

« Reply #5 on: 24, August, 2012 - 08:57:48 »
Cheers!

That sounds more doable. We have enough engineering firms around here that I should be able to find someone to make a collar.

Offline mhurt

« Reply #6 on: 27, August, 2012 - 13:31:21 »
Just a quickie if I may :
when taking off the rear wheel and brake assembly, I understand you need a bearing puller, but when refitting would any bits need replacing due to their removal?
I don't want to remove the brake assembly to discover I need a rare and expensive part :)

Cheers!

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #7 on: 27, August, 2012 - 16:41:14 »
Hi - the brake unit can be removed very easily (and refitted easily)- however there is a bearing that sits on the end of the axle which will become apparent once the brake is off- should this need changed then you will need a puller or press to remove it but only if defective - 75% of the time they are ok  :) :) :) :)
« Last Edit: 27, August, 2012 - 16:50:46 by radiomarty »

Offline mhurt

« Reply #8 on: 27, August, 2012 - 17:07:00 »
Cheers for the reply. I might just try and get a replacement bearing before I start, just in case.

Offline mhurt

« Reply #9 on: 27, August, 2012 - 17:08:44 »
Just noticed that Chas sells them. I feel a purchase query coming on....