News:

Welcome to C5alive, the best place for help & advice on how to get the most from your iconic Sinclair C5. Check the meetings section today for events near you.
C5alive.co.uk  - Keeping the C5 Alive !!

Author Topic: Body Damage  (Read 1603 times)

Offline USA-C5-Owner

• Battery level: 0
  • 4 legs may be better than 2 but 3 wheels better then anything!
Body Damage
« on: 23, December, 2014 - 15:38:04 »
My C5 body has many gouges, grooves and deep scratches in the shell from poor abuse in the past.  The below steps are what I have done to improve on the condition.  *Note:  That the results are not perfection, but an acceptable quality that I am happy with.

1.  Take a razor and remove any curled over material in the plastic to level out the section.

2.  Clean any plastic part well with detergent that will not leave a film behind.

3.  Apply a skim coat of glazing putty to affected area and let stand to dry.

4.  Sand glazing putty down to surface until smooth.  Repeat Step 3/4 until satisfied.

5.  I have painted the parts with Krylon Fusion paint for plastics with good results.  Not an identical factory match, but a good look and satin finish.  The color I used is 2439 Satin Pewter Gray

Below are photos of products I used, Wheel covers during glazing steps and wing mirrors after finishing and painting.

You can see above where the putty has filled in the deep cuts in the plastic after I have sanded the cover smooth.

This is a photo of the finished wing mirrors after I have done all steps above.  Mirros are painted with the fusion paint.

This is the glazing putty and fusion paint I have been using on the body surfaces.

Regards,
Adam

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
Re: Body Damage
« Reply #1 on: 23, December, 2014 - 16:32:49 »
Hi looking great well done
Chas