News:

"You Tube" footage of the C5alive meetings
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=303.0

Author Topic: connecting battery..........  (Read 3195 times)

Offline hammy

• Battery level: 1
connecting battery..........
« on: 09, September, 2010 - 07:53:42 »
can someone explain the best way of connecting the battery. Everyone on here seems to have changed from the battery top and key switch assembly. I have read about power wiring/ leisure wiring etc, but what is it and how do i do it???
All i want is a simple connection from the battery.
Can a kind soul please explain how to best connect the battery? or even better, put up a few pics

Much appreciated
steve

Offline techytype

• Battery level: 0
Re: connecting battery..........
« Reply #1 on: 09, September, 2010 - 10:53:39 »
hi,
the most convenient way to use a car battery (as most of us do), is to use a c5alive battery kit available from Karl. has easy clio on connectors so disconecteing or rec-connecting is far easier.

this also has added protection of a relay against reversing the battery leads which is instantly fatal to the control box, so the kit cost could easily save you far more on just one mistake.

you will need a bit of practical skill with wire connecting, Kark don't make or sell anything he can't understand himself, and there are very knowledgeable members on here, all enthusiasts and only to happy to help you along the way and to see another C5'ALIVE' on the roads :).

Alan

Offline hammy

« Reply #2 on: 09, September, 2010 - 14:13:02 »
so what parts do i need to make one??
I have a couple of friends who are up on electrics and could help if i knew what to use.
What is the switch and what are the connector / clamps?? :)

Offline coverman

• Battery level: 4
« Reply #3 on: 09, September, 2010 - 16:08:27 »
Hi,
I use a type 045 car battery which is light, and cheap and fits under the original battery top using Ford Cargo type battery terminals( they have a vertical bolt that goes through the existing holes in the battery to if you relieve the holes in the top and the copper strips thereunder).

Offline hammy

« Reply #4 on: 09, September, 2010 - 16:40:47 »
can i just wire the battery to the control box for short test runs??
i am planning a full strip and rebuild over the winter so can / will this be ok?

Offline coverman

• Battery level: 4
« Reply #5 on: 09, September, 2010 - 17:05:23 »
I always used jump leads to connect battery to copper strips on underside of battery top (being very careful to check polarity)

Offline techytype

• Battery level: 0
« Reply #6 on: 09, September, 2010 - 23:58:27 »
so what parts do i need to make one??
I have a couple of friends who are up on electrics and could help if i knew what to use.
What is the switch and what are the connector / clamps?? :)
if you go this route be very careful,

the battery quick clamps are available from Halfords and i think maplins and most large auto, caravan and camping shops.

you need a heavy duty relay, as battery can pull a big load under strain of a hill.

the relay activates if the battery is connected correctly and connects the power, if the battery is reversed the relay stays 'open' (due to a diode) to stop the battery voltage reaching the control box.

the switch simply interrupts the relay coil and prevents accidental operation.

tbh not to hard but not a job for the uninitiated, blow the box and your in a world of pain.

if Karl (Boo Boo) has them in stock, i'd strongly recommend don't mess about re-inventing the wheel.

Karl's version has 'on - off - on & lights' in one switch.

Alan