News:

Welcome to C5alive, the best place for help & advice on how to get the most from your iconic Sinclair C5. Check the meetings section today for events near you.
C5alive.co.uk  - Keeping the C5 Alive !!

Author Topic: Flashing pod lights - help!  (Read 3703 times)

giles

Flashing pod lights - help!
« on: 18, September, 2010 - 09:18:11 »
Hi Folks,
This morning I did the final job on 'IT 01', battery retaing strap and took for it's first proper ride in years.... only to find I get no resonpse whatsoever from the go button.

Previously I did check to see if the motor worked and would power the C5 along, it did.  But now all I get is a fully illuminated battery level display and the left hand side lights are constant amber lights at each end and the lights between all flash slowly at me.  This must be some kind of error state, can anyone help?

Horn and indicators all work fine, just nothing from the go button, but it did a week ago!  The only thing I have done since is have it on it's side while I repared the rear brake shoe and the tensioner.

???

Cheers, Giles

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
Re: Flashing pod lights - help!
« Reply #1 on: 18, September, 2010 - 10:08:32 »
Hi Giles check the 1amp fuse in the control box - your seeing a safety cut out .We seem to be seeing this fault a lot recently - if it is not the fuse try looking at C2 in the control box make sure it is a good soldered joint Plod has had experience of this and Kurt has also the same condition at the moment. Sometimes even just disconnecting it and leaving it a while clears it.

Offline PLOD11

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 11
  • Trust No one !
« Reply #2 on: 18, September, 2010 - 12:44:04 »
I think this fault is can be caused by a number of things.

If all else fails and everything else has been checked, i have just been changing all the components starting with the Transistors and IC, i think if you were to replace everything it would only be about 5 quid.

All these components are now over 25 years old and are past there use by date. Also some components need resoldering due to dry joints etc.

giles

« Reply #3 on: 20, September, 2010 - 06:53:56 »
Thanks for the comments guys.  I did leave it for about 30 mins, tried again and it was fine, so therefore I have some sort of intermittant issue.  The only thing I did differently was use a lower amp hour battery but shouldn't make a difference I guess.  I also read in the forum that the flashing lights means over temp protection activated - C5 was obviously cold....

Well I will keep trying it and let you know how I get on, but as we speak it's working, but still dirty.
Had a great time at Goodwood Revival - looked a pillock in the period garb though!
Cheers, Giles

giles

« Reply #4 on: 04, October, 2010 - 06:53:03 »
OK, I have now been using "IT 01" regularly now and the flashing pod lights proberbly happens just less than 50% of the time.  If they flash I disconnect and try again, it often takes quite a few goes untill it doesn't flash and I am on my way - then it works fine.
Does anyone have the solution to this and is it easy to do?  I wouldn't propose tackling the control pod myself but if it's something that can be done at a meet that'll be grand - happy to pay for the expertise :-)

Just for your information I now have the one red and one blue side panels on it.  I was initially disapointed that I didn'thave a matching set of either blue or red but as it is when on the vehicle the colours are, red white and blue, which seems wholly appropriate ;-) and is certainly distintive.

Cheers, Giles

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #5 on: 04, October, 2010 - 18:34:03 »
Hi Giles - could be a number of things - if you are handy with a soldering iron have a check for dry joints - more than likely to be a problem with the control box - just to prove this it may be worth swapping it onto one of your other C5 to make sure. Once you have confirmed the fault lies in the control box there are a few components to check a number of us would be able to look at it for you but best to get it to us although Plod did do a legendary road side repair with his generator once !

Kurt any feed back on yours yet ?

Offline PLOD11

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 11
  • Trust No one !
« Reply #6 on: 04, October, 2010 - 20:20:10 »
I have been getting a similar problem with a POD i recently got from Ebay.

I cured it by cleaning the pins on the back of the POD, but even now i still get the problem if i push the connector on fully to the POD, if i move back off the pins slightly, and then switch off and back on again it goes away, so there are  lots of reasons for this fault i does think.

But do as Marty says and swop things around on a working  C5 and confirm the control board is at fault.

John

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
« Reply #7 on: 05, October, 2010 - 09:14:17 »
Hi there Giles I do have a Pod/controlbox/wiring harness tester and if you want I can test it for free All you need to do is send it to me with return postage and I will check it out for you ....But as you know if the ULA is faulty it cannot be re pared ...also the problem could be the control box  .. bye Chas ....

Offline Kurt

• Battery level: 2
« Reply #8 on: 05, October, 2010 - 15:11:45 »
Hi Marty,

I have been on holiday so not had a chance to get near mine yet, but hope to have a dabble with the control box and my soldering iron at the weekend.
I will let you know how I get on. Also will check out he connectors at the back of the pod whilst I am at it.

Regards, K.