News:

C5 Alive attending the following event
Easter Sunday 20th April 2014 - Sandwich Gears of Change Motor Show - Kent
http://classicmusicandmotors.co.uk/flv_portfolio/motor-shows/

Author Topic: Problem with chain.  (Read 3686 times)

c you jimmy 5

Problem with chain.
« on: 28, October, 2008 - 19:00:49 »
I've just finished the rebuild with LOADS of help from my mate, the problem i'm having is the chain.
1st it keeps jumping, then the tensioner is very weedy and comes off easily as does the chain. Ray has checked the tensioner and said that it's fine, the spring is ok as is the way it's fitted though it seems as though it needs a link taken out which the chain won't allow, i've lost the tensioner on a run tonight so now need another..
Also do i need it and can i not shorten the chain and bypass this.
Neither the front or rear sprockets are buckled and the teeth aren't worn
Ray brought his chain and they are the same length and the links the same size, can someone please post detailed shots of the chain run . any ideas and help would be very welcome, all the rest of my C5 is A ok. This problem spoils an otherwise enjoyable C5.
« Last Edit: 28, October, 2008 - 19:08:22 by Red Feather »

Karl

Re: Problem with chain.
« Reply #1 on: 28, October, 2008 - 21:33:10 »
The chain needs to be at least a heavy duty spec bicycle chain, a standard bicycle chain tends to slip. We stopped supplying chains as there didnt seem to be any demand for them. If buying "ready made" bicycle chains, you will need to buy two and make it into one long enough for the C5. Making the chain too short runs the risk of bending the rear axle, which is hollow. Chains originally fitted to a C5 had a "half-link" which I assume must make a difference.

The chain tensioner is required as it also helps reduce chain slip .