News:

C5alive meets Chris Barrie
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=417.0

Author Topic: Motor does not runs ...  (Read 5703 times)

alexbromo

Motor does not runs ...
« on: 19, September, 2010 - 20:11:09 »
Yesterday i tested the motor with poor results.  :-\

Just connected the motor to battery nothing has happened, only when i tried to hand spin the gear for some seconds, the motor is started, but with a very reduced speed and frequently start-stop. After one or two minutes, the rotation speed is decreased and it finally stopped.  :-[

I tried also some other batteries, but without success: the voltage at the brushes connectors remain at 13.6 volts bur the motor does not starts anymore.

What do you suggest ? I tried to extract the brushes but it seems impossible ... i read also the (un)official's gude suggestion about brushes extraction but i did not understand.

Alex Bromo

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
Re: Motor does not runs ...
« Reply #1 on: 19, September, 2010 - 21:16:31 »
Hi there regarding the motor one of the problems could be the brushes are either worn out or stuck in side ...If you can pull them out a little and spray a little wd40 down the tube it should free them .If that fails then a motor strip down is the next thing ......bye Chas

alexbromo

« Reply #2 on: 19, September, 2010 - 22:07:58 »
Hi there regarding the motor one of the problems could be the brushes are either worn out or stuck in side ...If you can pull them out a little and spray a little wd40 down the tube it should free them .If that fails then a motor strip down is the next thing ......bye Chas
Thank you for hint, tomorroe i'll try for WD40. But is there a procedure to replace brushes if worn ?

Alex Bromo

Karl

« Reply #3 on: 20, September, 2010 - 08:18:46 »
Definately sounds like the brushes are not making good contact...as chas says, you need to see if they just need freeing up (they are spring loaded) or replacing.

alexbromo

« Reply #4 on: 20, September, 2010 - 14:07:58 »
Definately sounds like the brushes are not making good contact...as chas says, you need to see if they just need freeing up (they are spring loaded) or replacing.
Ok, tonight i'll try to freeing up the brushes.
In case of brushes's excessive worn, would be possible to replace it ?
How ? Disassemble all the motor ?

Alex Bromo

alexbromo

« Reply #5 on: 21, September, 2010 - 08:57:56 »
Sob ... the lead is detached from the brush.

... i guess need a new pair of brushes ...

:-[

Alex Bromo
« Last Edit: 22, September, 2010 - 14:36:15 by alexbromo »

alexbromo

« Reply #6 on: 22, September, 2010 - 15:13:51 »
Karl just mailed to me ...  :)

Alex Bromo
« Last Edit: 22, September, 2010 - 15:20:44 by alexbromo »

alexbromo

« Reply #7 on: 05, October, 2010 - 07:02:44 »
As suggested i'v bought a pair of new brushes at TDspares, and yesterday has arrived:

so i can re-start works ...

Alex Bromo

Karl

« Reply #8 on: 05, October, 2010 - 17:13:37 »
Let us know how you get on with those brushes Alex. If they work ok I'll probably just continue to recommend them and not bother getting them into the shop side of c5alive. One less job for me to worry about  ;)

alexbromo

« Reply #9 on: 09, October, 2010 - 20:02:59 »
Today i unpacked the new brushes, and compared with the old ones.

Mechanically are almost identical, same size and same support, but is evident the poor copper pigtail that connect the carbon to the socket:

the original brush is equipped with a pair of conductors, but the new one has only one pigtail and less section.

I believe that this item is perfect to drive current to a 220 washing machine motor, but is quite inadequate to support up to 120A ...

Alex Bromo

Karl

« Reply #10 on: 09, October, 2010 - 20:42:02 »
Doesn't seem like such a good recommendation after all, sorry mate - they did advertise them as Sinclair c5 replacements  :-[.

alexbromo

« Reply #11 on: 09, October, 2010 - 20:51:10 »
Doesn't seem like such a good recommendation after all, sorry mate - they did advertise them as Sinclair c5 replacements  :-[.
Yes, in the e-commerce site it was recommended also for C5.  :-\

Perhaps is possible to carefully dismant the brush and weld one of the old pigtail in parallel with the new to increase the current capability.

Alex Bromo

alexbromo

« Reply #12 on: 09, October, 2010 - 23:22:48 »
Tried to double pigtails ...

... now the motor is running.

Alex Bromo

Karl

« Reply #13 on: 10, October, 2010 - 10:59:19 »
Glad to see you managed to "improvise,adapt and overcome" in the true spirit of c5alive  ;)

Shame they're not a hassle free replacement though..

alexbromo

« Reply #14 on: 10, October, 2010 - 16:41:27 »
... to "improvise,adapt and overcome" in the true spirit of c5alive  ;)

:)

Alex Bromo