C5alive - The Premier Sinclair C5 website
https://www.c5alive.co.uk

Author Topic: On/Off  (Read 6159 times)

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 1
On/Off
« on: 31, January, 2009 - 21:59:29 »
Sorry to ask stupid questions but... I have wanted a C5 for 24 years and never ever touched one untill today.

How do you turn it off ?  I connected a battery to it and two sets of LED'S light up, and it works, but I cant find an on off switch anywhere.

Thanks

ian..

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
Re: On/Off
« Reply #1 on: 01, February, 2009 - 09:19:14 »
Hi, I have been doing some reading and as I understand it if the C5 has been converted for car battery - you cant switch it off !

Is that right ?

If so what can I do as I would like to charge it while 'on the car' if I can.

Again sorry if this is a noob question, but (iam starting to read up) - honest !!

Karl

« Reply #2 on: 01, February, 2009 - 16:08:42 »
The original set-up was to use a keyswitch assembly, so you ended up with something similar to a car-style "ignition" key arrangement. This in turn connected to a grey battery top, that was then attached to the Sinclair Oldham battery.This prevented the battery being wrongly connected, but does limit the choice of battery available to you .

Personally, I've experienced a few snags with the keyswitches - hence mine was converted to a c5alive wiring kit. The beauty of the c5alive kit is that it incorporates an on/off switch and protection to prevent damage caused by wrongly connecting the battery. It also opens up the choice of batteries you can use.
http://c5alive.co.uk/ecommerce/product_info.php?cPath=7_21&products_id=195&osCsid=a5c7952e857eae055990333e44e72cc0

If you are using a car type battery, then it is possible your C5 has just had the keyswitch chopped off and replaced by battery clips. You may well be missing an on/off switch, depends on who modified your C5 and what they did to it.

« Last Edit: 01, February, 2009 - 16:15:57 by Karl (C5Alive) »

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: 01, February, 2009 - 18:17:34 »
Hi Karl,

Thanx for the info - yes it has a set of blue and brown wires that go to round battery connecters.  I have bought an 85AH leasure battery and have found that the wires arnt long enough now :( but the battery does fit in the slot so thats good :)

I also would like to set up a double battery system so if there are any tutorials on that I would really like to see them.

Can I use the 5alive wire kit for a double battery setup and is there a discount when buying two ?

Thanks

Ian...

Karl

« Reply #4 on: 01, February, 2009 - 20:21:56 »
Depending on weather conditions,terrain,pedalling etc, a healthy & fully charged 85ah battery should be good for a distance in excess of 15miles. I'd be tempted to stay with this for now and see if you really require an additional battery once you've used the c5 a bit more. Don't forget you've got to be able to pedal all the extra weight up hills etc. Then there is the issuing of stopping, which is a whole new subject  :o

Leisure batteries have thicker plates and therefore weigh a lot more than car batteries. Fitting two heavy leisure batteries might not be all that beneficial. As a very rough rule of thumb, I reckon two lighter car batteries will get you as far as one heavier leisure battery.  Although I'm more of a fan of cheap car batteries, everyone has their favourites. Ray is getting some very good performance from his caravan leisure battery. My wife has a Halfords 70ah leisure battery fitted to her C5 for the meetings, but recently it seems to be underperforming. Might be due to the cold ?

Converting to twin battery wiring isn't as simple as fitting two of the present c5alive kits. Having said that, Martin has already made a prototype twin battery conversion and has been testing it at recent meetings. When we are happy with it, it will be sold alongside the present kits as an optional extra.
« Last Edit: 01, February, 2009 - 20:26:57 by Karl (C5Alive) »

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: 02, February, 2009 - 06:20:38 »
I'll give it ago this afternoon and see how good it is. I have not gone far in it just to the end of the road. It was a bit scary to be honest I was not expecting it to go as well as it did. Then it started to beep and cut out.

I have a feeling the motor needs a service, so I might ship it to you soon.

Regards

Ian

Karl

« Reply #6 on: 02, February, 2009 - 10:16:11 »
.....Then it started to beep and cut out.

I have a feeling the motor needs a service, so I might ship it to you soon.

Regards

Ian

The beeping is telling you the battery is low , the c5 is designed to then shut down & protect the battery from potential damage . However,if the battery is new & fully charged and only gets you a few hundred yards, then you may have another problem. Check to see if you have three wires running to the battery, or just the two ? Some "conversions" tend to forget about the small thin brown wire.... I've seen it on a C5 purchased for over £400 on Ebay  :o) ,the owner brought it to us to find out why his new batteries weren't getting him very far.

Just a thought  :)

Offline fezza_rs

• Battery level: 4
« Reply #7 on: 02, February, 2009 - 11:31:43 »
or the belt is wrong/too tight

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: 02, February, 2009 - 11:41:15 »
That's one thing I did notice, it does have two brown wires for the positive and a blue one for the negitive.

On another issue, how easy should it be to push the C5 backwards ?  Mine is very hard, in fact if your not sat in it the wheel skids. I suspect it should be easy this the motor is a bit tight perhps even seized ?

Offline fezza_rs

• Battery level: 4
« Reply #9 on: 02, February, 2009 - 14:29:45 »
tbh you shouldnt push your c5 backwards as it can blow the d1 diode but yes it does sound like something is amiss with the motor

Karl

« Reply #10 on: 02, February, 2009 - 15:46:28 »
Fezza is spot on - you shouldnt push your C5 backwards at anything more than a very slow walking pace

However, the wheels should rotate freely so I agree with fezza it does sound like something is not quite right.

Is the chain rusted solid, or anything stopping the pedals moving ?

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: 02, February, 2009 - 16:09:19 »
No the chain whilst a little rusty is ok, I have lubricated it and the cog (which clicks) at the back. It goes forward OK, its when I push it backwards when trying to turn it around (turning circle is crap on these) its hard like the motor is stiff.

Karl

« Reply #12 on: 02, February, 2009 - 16:17:51 »
No the chain whilst a little rusty is ok, I have lubricated it and the cog (which clicks) at the back. It goes forward OK, its when I push it backwards when trying to turn it around (turning circle is crap on these) its hard like the motor is stiff.

Sounds like you may be right as there are bearings that support the armature. These can seize and cause the problems you describe.

It's always worth having a good look at all the alternatives to make sure you dont spend your hard earnt readies on the wrong bits.

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: 25, January, 2010 - 10:48:53 »
Just to tie up this old thread :-

It turned out that the magnets had peeled away from the motor housing and was catching the armature.  This happens when the motor over heats, as the magnets are only glued on.  As you may have read on other threads Karl supplied me a second hand motor housing (stater) and all was good.