News:

Welcome to C5alive, the best place for help & advice on how to get the most from your iconic Sinclair C5. Check the meetings section today for events near you.
C5alive.co.uk  - Keeping the C5 Alive !!

Author Topic: OMG - 24v!!!!  (Read 1868 times)

Offline Theojw71

• Battery level: 0
  • My OTHER car is a C5...
OMG - 24v!!!!
« on: 19, July, 2014 - 16:00:19 »
I've had a bit of a challenge getting the C5 up and running on 24v, as the 30Ah LifePo4 battery I spent my final spondulicks on has a current drain protection set at 60 amps, so it shut off the power whenever more was consumed (which, with the C5 motor, was pretty often). However, having removed the BMS for usage and re-configured it just for charging the battery, I finally got to give my C5 her maiden voyage today.

O-M-G.  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

So fast; that was really fast; and I didn't twist the Magura full-power once! (mainly because I was terrified of popping something, now I was finally under way). And it drives up hills. I mean it. Really. For anyone wondering, as I did, what the real impact of switching up to 24v would be, yes it is worth it. I was launching the C5 up 1:20 inclines no problem, and could tell that a 1:10 or even a 1:8 was possible without needing to peddle.

In getting this amazing machine launched, I think I can finally see Sir Clive's vision come alive; with the battery weight out and the power up this has become usable personal transport.

Offline Theojw71

• Battery level: 0
  • My OTHER car is a C5...
Re: OMG - 24v!!!!
« Reply #1 on: 19, July, 2014 - 16:05:55 »
Time to say a few thanks; particularly to Chas for his amazing brake conversion; Dan for the 3d fan mount and other bits; Lancelot, Dan and Jocky for advice on the BMS that helped me get it sorted; and even the random post that I read that pointed me to my steel front wheel.

I still have a few issues to overcome yet; I have a 24v/12v converter to fit, to power the ancillaries such as lights, indicators and horn; I've fitted handlebar mounted motorbike switches for those as well, which need connecting up.

But she drives.

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
« Reply #2 on: 19, July, 2014 - 19:06:19 »
That's great well done happy 24v motoring
Chas
« Last Edit: 23, July, 2014 - 21:55:28 by C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER »

Offline Lancealot

• Battery level: 5
  • Owning C5s are a pleasure and hassle..............
« Reply #3 on: 23, July, 2014 - 21:44:57 »
Nice one, post some photos.

Lance