News:

"You Tube" footage of the C5alive meetings
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=303.0

Author Topic: Paypal - be careful  (Read 4537 times)

Karl

Paypal - be careful
« on: 08, November, 2009 - 16:37:06 »
Not sure if anyone else has hit this snag...

In September I sold a few items where the buyer paid via Paypal.

Last week I got hit with a "chargeback" , where the money initially paid to me has been removed from my Paypal account by Paypal themselves. This is because the buyers account is supported by a credit card. The credit card has since been reported as used in a fraudulent online transaction. The credit card company's response was to pull back all monies paid out since July  ???, causing problems for the cardholder as well as everyone he has used the card (and paypal account) with  ::).

Seems I now have to wait for a month before I get my money back, even though the buyer has confirmed the transaction as genuine  :o.

Not impressed at all , and I now hold a different view of Paypal  >:(

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 1
Re: Paypal - be careful
« Reply #1 on: 08, November, 2009 - 17:44:30 »
Blimey - you would have thought that if the card holder confirms the payments as valid then you should not have to wait.  I bet theres now't you can do either ?

Offline Kurt

• Battery level: 2
« Reply #2 on: 08, November, 2009 - 19:43:08 »
One of the girls on my team at work got caught out by this as well but it did not end well.

She upgraded her mobile phone to a LG Prada and decided after a fortnight she did not like it and reverted to her own phone and put it up for sale on ebay.

The sale was won by an Indian gentlemen and paid for by paypal and she posted it abroad to him. Like Karl, the money was suddenly taken back by paypal as it was claimed to be a fraudulent credit card and she lost both the phone and the money.

Paypal has a guarantee policy against these frauds, where you can still make a claim for the money, but as the buyer was outside of the UK, the policy does not cover these transactions.
An expensive lessons to learn !

Karl

« Reply #3 on: 19, November, 2009 - 18:32:53 »
This just gets worse...paypal have now charged me £7 for removing the funds from my account  ??? >:(

It's all there in the terms and conditions..which I should read more carefully.

The bottom line is that Paypal offer sellers no protection...you really are on your own.

I'm still waiting for the return of my funds as well....

Offline techytype

• Battery level: 0
« Reply #4 on: 28, November, 2009 - 18:02:28 »
must admit only ever bought using PayPal ot sole anything through it, i like the idea you don't give over sensitive details to all and sundry  ;)

how many e-sites ask for you inside leg measurement, email and/or fax number then you get loads of unwanted junk mail  >:(

but nice to se what happens and pitfalls from the vendors side

regs
alan

Karl

« Reply #5 on: 05, December, 2009 - 16:25:54 »
This might have a happier ending than anticipated, despite Paypal saying I have to wait an additional 75 days for an appeal result.

My buyer has sent me a cheque to cover the full amount, including the extra fee added by Paypal.

Once the cheque clears I can inform Paypal that the matter is resolved - no thanks to them .

My brother has also had a run-in with paypal as well, having been sold some dodgy shock absorbers for his Evo.

Paypal weren't the least bit interested as the seller had closed his account and withdrawn the money. They only started showing an interest when my brothers credit card company pulled back the money on his behalf.

Can't say I'm too impressed with Paypal at all  >:( 
« Last Edit: 05, December, 2009 - 16:28:15 by BooBoo »

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: 17, December, 2009 - 20:24:36 »
I remember reading something about them being investigated in the USA at one time. I know there was or is a company called nochecks that did a similar job, sadly I don't know of anyothers.

Offline techytype

« Reply #7 on: 18, December, 2009 - 19:07:02 »
it's surprising to me if companies act in his way, lets face it once confidence and or trust is undermined, it rarely returns fully  :(

regs
alan
//tiger woods?//

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: 20, December, 2009 - 19:45:42 »
I can't understand all the fuss about Tiger Woods, its his life & can still play good golf ?

Offline techytype

« Reply #9 on: 21, December, 2009 - 09:56:29 »
tbh i could not care a flying 'T' either,

regs
alan