News:

"I don't live in the past. I'm always excited by what I'm doing in the present." Sir Clive Sinclair

Author Topic: Is my Pod dead ?  (Read 7414 times)

32ford

Is my Pod dead ?
« on: 30, July, 2010 - 09:54:02 »
Hi all

About 8 years ago I bought a C5 on ebay that had been rebuilt by Adam Harper. It's a pretty good one. However, one of the last times I used it, in 2002/3, I have a hazy memory of connecting the battery the wrong way round. I can't be 100% sure it was this machine however, as I used to have a few C5's which I sold several years back. I do remember there being a slight burning smell when I did it.

Anyhow, the remaining C5 was stored back in the garage for 7 years or so and came back out last weekend. I've got it running, but no pod lights. I know they did work when I bought it, so maybe it was this one that I connected up wrong.

My electronics ability stretches as far as being able to tell the difference between a fuse and a plug, and stops there.

Could any of you nice people tell me in laymans terms what I need to check ? I do have a spare brand new pod buried somewhere in the loft, but aside from the fact it would take me a week to find it, I wouldnt want to put a new pod on the C5 if there was any possibility I could fry that one as well.

Is it safe to run the C5 without any pod? I'm only intending to use the C5 for very short journeys, maybe a mile or so at any one stretch.

Any help gratefully received.

Thanks

Steve
« Last Edit: 30, July, 2010 - 18:09:41 by 32ford »

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
Re: Is my Pod dead ?
« Reply #1 on: 30, July, 2010 - 13:57:19 »
Hi Steve - you have several options here

1. You can repair the control box which is probably causing your pod not to light - this will require checking some of the electronic parts out with a meter - but are fairly cheap to replace. Ps if you take the cover off of it and check your two 1A fuse's and also look to see if there is any burnt components. (ps have you disconnected the pod at the red cable and checked it is a good contact) There are a few of us that could take a look at it for you depending on where you are in the country. :)

2. You can run as is without the pod as you are at present- but you won't know your battery and motor load.

3. You can rig up a fairly simple relay affair with a cheap battery monitor and by-pass the control box as Boo Boo has been doing recently - I am sure he can advice ;)

Offline coverman

• Battery level: 4
« Reply #2 on: 30, July, 2010 - 14:31:41 »
Hi,
I run my C5 on the control box but without the pod working so have wired in a computer fan( £0.99) to constantly cool the motor when it is running. Made 4 brackets from radio strip and held the whole thing on via jubilee clip around the motor casing. I used waterproof fabric glued around the radio strip legs to form a duct. I have tested up 2nd gear type hills in my neighbourhood and it seems OK altho I have no means of telling if it is other than feling the motor and transmission after a run.

32ford

« Reply #3 on: 30, July, 2010 - 16:14:10 »
Thanks Marty. I did take the control box cover off and replaced both fuses (with proper replacements, not tin foil  :D ). The 1A had blown, and the 5A just looked old(!). I had a look around at the time and couldnt see any obvious signs of damage. I just noticed in your response that you said they should both be 1A fuses ? Is that right ? I thought there was a 1A and a 5A ?

I'll go take a look at the red pod cable this evening and see how the connection looks.

I'm located in Bournemouth. Any of you guys live near by ?

Thanks

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
« Reply #4 on: 30, July, 2010 - 16:22:16 »
Opps yes indeed you are right FS1 is a 5 amp

32ford

« Reply #5 on: 30, July, 2010 - 16:50:35 »
Hmmm, well, I just took a quick look, and I cant be 100% sure, but it did feel like the red cable going up to the pod, was loose. Or at least I mean the connector was loose. I made sure it was pushed on tight. Then tried the motor and it's dead !
I only parked it back in the garage after a short run this morning. Haven't done anything other than push the connector back on.
I guess now that's probably blown another fuse ? I won't have time for another hour or 2 to take a look.
If this is the case, then does that mean my pod is finished ?
« Last Edit: 30, July, 2010 - 18:10:44 by 32ford »

32ford

« Reply #6 on: 30, July, 2010 - 18:14:44 »
Just checked the fuses, all ok. Decided it must have been something I'd done that has stopped the motor. Made sure the red pod connector was firmly in place, hooked the battery back up, and yes it runs.

I didn't realise the C5 won't start if there's no pod connection !

So, now I'm back to the beginning again. All running fine, except no pod lights. I double checked the inside of the control box while checking the fuses. It's all clean.

Do I risk fitting the new pod ?

Offline PLOD11

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 11
  • Trust No one !
« Reply #7 on: 30, July, 2010 - 18:35:09 »
Hi there ...

The problem is in the control box i would say at this time, and the POD is ok. You will need to check Resistor R1 to see if you have 12 volts both sides, and then if ok check the 5 volt regulator thats the three legged thing bolted or riveted to a large heat sink above R1. you shoule have 12 Volts one side and 5 volts the other.

My guess is that is where your problem is if the motor is running with no pod lights, very common.

I am away at the moment so thats all i can do for now, thats where to start ...

Hope this helps.

John
PLOD11

32ford

« Reply #8 on: 30, July, 2010 - 18:56:28 »
Thanks John. Looks like I need to buy a voltmeter, but as I previously mentioned, my electronics knowledge borders on zero. Can anyone suggest what might be a cheap one to buy on ebay ? I'm sure I'll probably only use it for this one job seeing as I've survived 50 years without owning one ! Needs to be cheap. Any recommendations anybody ?

Offline PLOD11

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 11
  • Trust No one !
« Reply #9 on: 30, July, 2010 - 19:29:58 »
Have a look in maplins, they should have something cheap .

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
« Reply #10 on: 30, July, 2010 - 20:57:09 »
Let's us know when you have a meter (even if you can borrow one) and we will try and talk you through it - I have to agree with Plod most likley to be the area he has suggested. Good Luck

Offline MikeDX

• Battery level: 1
« Reply #11 on: 30, July, 2010 - 21:17:01 »
I got a good meter in maplins, £19.99 with audible continuity test. Let me go get you a link :)

Offline MikeDX

« Reply #12 on: 31, July, 2010 - 09:26:12 »
Ok, finally found it

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=46390

comes with croc clips and probes so you don't need to buy anything else! Even the battery that comes with it will be enough for what you need :)

32ford

« Reply #13 on: 31, July, 2010 - 11:30:29 »
Thanks to all for the help so far. I need to save as much money as I possibly can at the moment, and if necessary I'll get that Maplins recommendation, but what about this one on ebay ? Would it do the job ? Only £7.99 incl p+p.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DIGITAL-MULTIMETER-TESTER-19-RANGES-CONTINUITY-BUZZER-/220624254618?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Test_Measurement_Equipment_ET&hash=item335e3af69a

Offline MikeDX

« Reply #14 on: 31, July, 2010 - 12:27:03 »
Nothing wrong with that one mate, looks ideal, cheap cheerful and will do the job. You only want to measure the volatages across certain points and be able to test wired for breaks etc really. Free p&p is always a bonus!