News:

"I don't live in the past. I'm always excited by what I'm doing in the present." Sir Clive Sinclair

Author Topic: Help!!!!!!!  (Read 3817 times)

Cfiver

Help!!!!!!!
« on: 15, September, 2011 - 23:24:53 »
After two years, finally finished on restoring a C5. When I connect up the battery everything runs and then cuts out. When I changed the control box, nothing. There is no relay noise. Can anyone advise what the problem could be. All fuses are fine.

Offline Lancealot

• Battery level: 5
  • Owning C5s are a pleasure and hassle..............
Re: Help!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: 16, September, 2011 - 07:52:40 »
Hi, check the wiring loom from the POD to the control box there could be a loose connection or corrosion. Make sure you have 12v at various locations and a 0v. Is the POD lighting up and with what LEDs are visible.

Lance

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
« Reply #2 on: 16, September, 2011 - 08:48:58 »
Hi there have you checked the motor on it's own (disconnect the motor wires and connect it to your battery and see if it runs OK)
Chas

Karl

« Reply #3 on: 16, September, 2011 - 08:54:19 »
As Lance says, pod wiring is a common headache. First place I'd check is the plug at the back of the pod as those connections get dirty and corrode. Then check all the contacts are clean and secure in the pod , handlebar microswitch, control box etc. Did it run before your restoration work ?

What type of battery connection are you using ? If it's the standard keyswitch they are also getting temperamental - cleaning the contacts helps.

If you're still having snags I'd advise getting the pod and control box checked out by radiomarty so that you have a starting point to work from.

Cfiver

« Reply #4 on: 16, September, 2011 - 09:12:04 »
Thanks Guys,

I can confirm, that the battery connections are sound, there are readings of 12v on the control box, the micro switch is good, the motor runs when powered direct. There are also readings of 12v in the control box. I will try the pod connection this evening. This is really doing my head in!!

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #5 on: 16, September, 2011 - 15:39:11 »
Hi - I have to agree with Lance - check your red wiring loom from pod to control box - try wiggling it and see if the led's light etc this connection is often weathered and can have several dry joints - failing this you need to check the control box is supplying it with 5v -  - im sure it's something simple and also very common - regards Radiomarty

Here is a link on checking the control box is supplying 5v to the pod :
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1320.0
« Last Edit: 16, September, 2011 - 15:44:49 by radiomarty »

Offline PLOD11

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 11
  • Trust No one !
« Reply #6 on: 16, September, 2011 - 17:42:33 »
Do you have any display on the POD ??

If you are coming along to Brooklands on Sunday there will be plenty of people about to have a look at it for you.

John
PLOD11

Cfiver

« Reply #7 on: 16, September, 2011 - 20:16:08 »
Thanks everyone, yes there Is a full display on the pod. I have wriggled the wires, but no luck. Now about to check the pod connector.

I am Not at Brooklands.

Does anyone have any pod washers for sale?

CFiver, Hampshire

Karl

« Reply #8 on: 16, September, 2011 - 21:39:22 »
Thanks everyone, yes there Is a full display on the pod. I have wriggled the wires, but no luck. Now about to check the pod connector.

I am Not at Brooklands.

Does anyone have any pod washers for sale?

CFiver, Hampshire

Chas is your man for those  ;)

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
« Reply #9 on: 17, September, 2011 - 08:27:52 »
Hi there just check out the  Chas section on the menu

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #10 on: 17, September, 2011 - 09:05:30 »
Hi - when you say full display on the pod can you clarify - with the battery connected all of the right hand led's should be on(assuming a good battery) and only the first and last yellow on your left hand display - what happens when you press the go button - you should be seeing something on the left hand side - failing all you are welcome to pop the pod and control box in the post and i will take a look at them - (no fix no fee )

Regards Marty

Cfiver

« Reply #11 on: 17, September, 2011 - 23:14:54 »
Thanks everyone for your help. I managed to get the C5 after tinkering with The pod connection. he C5 drove like a dream, you cannot heat that wind in your hair feeling. Loads of people took interest when I was out and about in it.

Fiver

joggaeco

« Reply #12 on: 21, October, 2011 - 01:45:15 »
What I can;t undersatnd is why my pod started to work all of a sudden toady! and the motor stopped.

Ok that aside, the connection end that sits in the control box, were rusty in mine, so pullof the socket and rub down and oil lighty, to ensure good contact.

Press the conectors well in

I just make usre the things look physically ok, as a rule, then the rest is beyond me!

Karl

« Reply #13 on: 21, October, 2011 - 10:10:22 »
The clue is that you are finding rusty contacts. This confirms that the c5 has suffered corrosion due to being stored in a damp environment so I'm guessing you will need to check all the contacts and give them a good clean. You can get some aerosol cans of electrical contact cleaners or just use some WD40.  Your Pod springing back into life could indicate it has either loose contacts or a break  in the wiring somewhere , also as Plod says you may have some dry joints.

Might it be worth getting the pod and control box checked out by radioMarty ?  If they are either repaired or checked out as fine they you will have a "baseline" to work from. Keeping it standard retains the value of the c5 and the functionality of the pod/control box has its uses. It prevents over discharge of the battery and overheating of the motor (and by default to a certain extent,  the gearbox also).