News:

Meeting the Gadget Show team
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=404.0

Author Topic: Pedal assisted power question  (Read 3664 times)

eva.wates

Pedal assisted power question
« on: 08, January, 2012 - 19:21:37 »
Hi!

Just doing some research for a school project on the environment.

I was hoping to get some more information about a particular function of the C5. Is it possible to have pedal and motor power at the same time i.e. could you pedal say to 10mph and then battery was used to bring it up to 15mph (therefore running the battery down more slowly) or was it an either or situation where it was either the battery or pedalling. Was this automatic or a switch?

Thanks,

Eva

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
Re: Pedal assisted power question
« Reply #1 on: 08, January, 2012 - 19:38:58 »
Hi there regarding the c5 check out the

New Owners Quick Start Guide  on the forum it may be helpful to you ...Also you can check out this web site

http://www.sinclairc5.com/

Bye Chas .If you want any more help just ask ....
« Last Edit: 08, January, 2012 - 19:41:36 by C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER »

Offline kamilb1998

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 7
    • Project XJ40
« Reply #2 on: 08, January, 2012 - 19:57:28 »
To answer your question Eva,

Yes you could pedal up to 10mph and then use the motor to bring it up to 15mph. You could also pedal and have the motor on at the same time to use less electricity, and help up hills etc.

Hope this helps,

Karl

« Reply #3 on: 08, January, 2012 - 21:11:21 »
Hi Eva, as Kamil says the c5 can be used with the motor running at the same time as you pedal, or you can choose to have just the motor assistance or pedal with no assistance at all. This is a function not permitted on modern electrically assisted bicycles due to differences in the "pedelec" regulations. The C5 conforms to the legislation relevant in 1985 , sadly modern regulations are stricter meaning you have to keep pedalling before the motor is allowed to assist (so much for progress  ::))

Offline thedesigntailor

• Battery level: 5
  • designer and C5 newbie
    • GLOW creative
« Reply #4 on: 08, January, 2012 - 23:00:53 »
With the C5 you have to peddle to get it going otherwise it's too much strain on the motor (remember it's nearly 27 years old!).

Once you're going you can choose to power or peddle or a mixture. When I use mine to go to work I tend to use the motor a lot as I'm lazy. But sometimes I feel like a proper bit of exercise and only use the motor to help me up hill.

Nitrowing

« Reply #5 on: 07, March, 2012 - 12:00:22 »
I can't pedal fast enough to assist the motor - it's the main reason I would like a Sturmey conversion.

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 1
« Reply #6 on: 15, April, 2012 - 18:59:21 »
Back in the day, the way to go was to pedal, then power assist, then power off and pedal, then stop pedaling and power on.  This power on/off mode was intended to extend the battery life.  If you live in a hilly area like me - it was more power and pedal - lol

If you find you cant pedal fast enough to keep up with me motor (I wish), then its time to power off :)

Offline frankev

• Battery level: 0
  • One Sinclair on the road, doesn't mean it's summer
    • Sinclair meeting in Holland in july 2011
« Reply #7 on: 17, April, 2012 - 10:48:48 »
Hi Eva,

Sir Sinclair was definitively a visionair but he didn't know much about biking. The speed you have to make to keep on pedaling while riding full throttle is beyond comfortable. Therefore I fit a 7 gear Shimano in mine as well as a hand throttle. This means that I have the choice how much energy I put in pedaling myself and how much support the engine gives. In 7 th gear I go a full round (the pedal) in ±1.5 sec. Thats really comfy.
To be completely honest, this does not really make the sinclair faster to ride, it is to heavy to put much extra speed into it, but it sure makes you go further with one battery charge.

greetz

Frank