News:

C5alive filming with "oldgoldtech.com" at Brooklands Museum - 13th November 2010
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1440.0

Author Topic: Motor bearings  (Read 4102 times)

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
Motor bearings
« on: 08, July, 2009 - 17:31:03 »
Hi folk's - advice needed please !!!

We removed the motor yesterday from Matt's C5 (First Love) and set about giving it a service today - We have it in bits now and it looks pretty good - gearbox teeth all OK - will clean, re-grease and put back.Can any body recommend the best thing to clean the contacts with and also is it worth changing the 3 bearings on the motor shaft (Look OK but while I have it in bits!)
If changing them is the way to go are they a pressure fit ?

Many thanks in advance - PS looks like our young Matt is really getting into this !!!!
Regards Martin

Karl

Re: Motor bearings
« Reply #1 on: 08, July, 2009 - 18:46:23 »
I've only ever changed the bearings on the back axle, and they were a pressure fit. My local car mechanic did the honours of removing the old and fitting the new.

Looking at the armature, they do look the same  i.e. pressure fitted. If the bearings are not grumbling and feel ok it may be best to leave well alone. I'm not aware of anyone having to change the armature bearings.

One thing to be aware of is that the armature shaft can snap at the end that holds the two small sets of bearings, so if you do choose to change them be careful  :)

Pictures of an armature with this damage can be seen in the motor assembly thread;
 http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=368.0
« Last Edit: 08, July, 2009 - 18:48:13 by BooBoo »

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #2 on: 08, July, 2009 - 19:41:43 »
Thanks Karl - I think I wil leave well alone with the bearings !

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 1
« Reply #3 on: 08, July, 2009 - 21:08:38 »
I used a fine grade wet and dry to clean my contacts on the armature (I think they are called slip rings). I understand that each armature was ballanced by one man in the factory (by hand) and the contacts were diamond cut on a lathe. A top notch spec when you think about it.

petalpop

« Reply #4 on: 22, July, 2009 - 17:46:04 »
i took the motor off my c5 and have found it has the shaft broken as per the photo
does the machine work ok without those two bearings or would i need a new motor :'(

Karl

« Reply #5 on: 22, July, 2009 - 18:38:10 »
i took the motor off my c5 and have found it has the shaft broken as per the photo
does the machine work ok without those two bearings or would i need a new motor :'(

..sadly the missing bearings are essential, no offence intended but they wouldn't be there otherwise - Sir Clive would have saved the pennies and left them out if he could  ;)

The good news is I have a spare used armature that could make its way in your direction....drop me an email if you're interested and we can discuss beer tokens   :)