News:

"I don't live in the past. I'm always excited by what I'm doing in the present." Sir Clive Sinclair

Author Topic: Only front and rear lights work  (Read 4011 times)

James Foster

Only front and rear lights work
« on: 09, August, 2009 - 16:06:52 »
Hi there
Fitted the wiring kit over the weekend. Very easy to do with clear instructions.
I was hoping that, battery connected, the thing would magically burst into life and I would be zipping up the road but alas, only the front and rear lights work.  >:(
Pod lights do not come on at all and there is no other activity. I replaced the 1amp fuse as that appeared blown, but nothing happens still. The only thing I do notice which may be causing the lack of activity is the fact that on the electronic module, the connectors seem a bit corroded - I am just wondering if I would be better off getting a new module or can these be cleaned successfully.
James
C5 novice from Hurstpierpoint

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 1
Re: Only front and rear lights work
« Reply #1 on: 09, August, 2009 - 17:55:46 »
Hi James,

Can you clarify what you mean by module? If you mean the Pod (the dash with lights)n then the pins at the back do need to be clean. 

One simple test is to do this :- www.c5martin.co.uk/c5_help.htm and look at the part about operating the c5 without a pod.  If it works then - then its the pod that need looking at.

Good Luck

Ian

James Foster

« Reply #2 on: 09, August, 2009 - 18:00:05 »
Sorry, I meant the control box. The connectors look a bit tarnished.

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 1
« Reply #3 on: 09, August, 2009 - 19:37:10 »
Well it wont hurt to clean them up, which ones are you talking about ?

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #4 on: 10, August, 2009 - 06:50:28 »
I had to send my control box to Martin when i restored mine, i did gets lights on the pod, the motor worked, but after about 1/2 a mile the lights went out and lost power, Martin found several poor joints on the circuit boards and a faulty diode, but once he had done his magic all has gone well.

Retro Andy 

James Foster

« Reply #5 on: 10, August, 2009 - 10:02:33 »
My initial frustration has subsided and I am just going to be more systematical - it seems that the control box is stopping the power going to the right places so that may be where the problem is. Therefore I will send it off with the pod for testing/and repair.

Karl

« Reply #6 on: 10, August, 2009 - 22:52:06 »
My initial frustration has subsided and I am just going to be more systematical - it seems that the control box is stopping the power going to the right places so that may be where the problem is. Therefore I will send it off with the pod for testing/and repair.

Fun and frustration in equal measure mate - the joys of owning a C5  ;D

But you've made the right decision , start going through the possible faults systematically and you'll get there in the end. The pod and control box are the right places to start.