News:

C5alive - The Premier Sinclair C5 website
https://www.c5alive.co.uk

Author Topic: ULA Chips  (Read 4400 times)

Offline alan1310

• Battery level: 5
  • i wish i was that man
ULA Chips
« on: 12, August, 2009 - 18:44:22 »
if you read through any c5 stuff you will have def herd about these little gits they hide away in your pod waiting until you want to get to work then it breaks i hear they are super sensitive so no wonder they break. i also no you can not get hold of these chips any more so if it breaks it makes your pod a right off. i have also read that the Sinclair zx80 had one of these chips in and i have found a man with a small amount of these left so i am just wondering are they the same Chip?

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 1
Re: ULA Chips
« Reply #1 on: 12, August, 2009 - 19:50:11 »
ferranti made several ula chips. When I googled the correct chip number all I could find out is that it's a logic chip. Both the spectrum and zx80 had a ula chip of some kind but I don't think it's the same type. I don't even think there is an equivalent type either.

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #2 on: 12, August, 2009 - 20:06:01 »
I spoke to Adam Harper on this one and my understanding is the ULA in the C5 was specially made for it. Having looked inside my ZX81 the ULA is different. So they appear to be as hard to get as rocking horse poo !!!!!!!

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #3 on: 12, August, 2009 - 23:02:54 »
I think you can get them from maplins electronics ?

Retro Andy

Offline alan1310

• Battery level: 5
  • i wish i was that man
« Reply #4 on: 13, August, 2009 - 13:14:54 »
ah well it was worth a try i looked at maplins website could not find them is thier something else that does the same job ?

Karl

« Reply #5 on: 13, August, 2009 - 16:27:03 »
ah well it was worth a try i looked at maplins website could not find them is thier something else that does the same job ?

I don't think there is anything available "off the shelf".

C5martin has ventured further than most trying to find a cure for the ula chip problem, and even he hasn't found a replacement .

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 1
« Reply #6 on: 13, August, 2009 - 20:36:20 »
Yep me too,  I'm now toying with the idea of seeing if it can be emulated in a PIC chip, it wont be easy tho.

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #7 on: 14, August, 2009 - 07:31:05 »
I have been discussing this with the 'tech' guy's at work. It seems there is a need and market for a 'copy' chip as they are not going to last forever. I will continue looking into this - will be intrested to know how you get on Umpa.